Monday, May 13, 2013

Alannah Myles - Black Velvet (1994)

Sssssexy.




Funny, for me the song is centrally about the oddity of the tasteless commodification of a great singer (guess who). Posters of black velvet! But the great melody and her delivery makes it very different indeed!

===
I'm just finishing up re-reading one of Terry Pratchett's best books, Soul Music, which is funny and inventive, and is about the terrible, amazing, seductive power of rock music, or "music with rocks in" as it's called in the book, because the drummer is a troll banging on rocks... And I can well understand why people get addicted to that fantastic connection with a crowd that a good concert can create.

If it were me, I'd have called the book Music With Rocks In, it's so funny. And the book is not about soul music. But I guess it's called that for a sort-of pun, based on the fact that Death plays a large part in it. (As does Susan, Death's grand-daughter, a great character.)

No comments: