Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Wood walk with Ziggy (updated)

Ziggy is the dog. She is three years old, they don't get any bigger (spaniel, I forget the exact breed). She belongs to my friend Judy and Jade. 
The woods were full of these tiny (most less than 2cm) caterpillars hanging on their strings. They were everywhere, and mostly just seemingly doing nothing, we couldn't really figure out where they were going or why. When I went off-path to photograph the gnarly tree, I immediately got 4 or 5 on me, that's how many there were. 

Oh, by the way, I only got lucky with one or two shots of the dog, out of over a dozen I took, where the dog had already turned away before the shutter reacted. Reaction speed is still a downside to pocket cameras, even though it has improved. For pets or children etc, a bigger camera with speedy autofocus is recommended. (The newest Olympus or Panasonic M4/3 cameras are now almost instantaneous, a performance which used to be limited to the bigger DSLR cameras.) 





All clickable. 
Canon S100. 

4 comments:

Tommy said...

Great craggy old tree, but strange hanging thingies!!

EO, "my friend Judy and Jade." This kind of sounds like; my name's Daryl and these are my brother's Daryl and Daryl. And then there's my's wife ex boss named Marshall, who married Marsha.

:-)

TC [Girl] said...

Ziggy is absolutely adorable! I wonder if she is a 'King Charles Spaniel.' There is more on Spaniels here.

As for the "hanging thingies," and such, I believe those are some type of butterfly. Apparently, there are some 33 species that are doing the metamorphosis thing, in England, in May. Perhaps Jade might be interested in researching them further. She could always go back and get one of them and try to secure it, hanging in some sort of vented container and see the process. :-)

I also thought that was a great tree image; thanks for sharing.

Bronislaus Janulis / Framewright said...

Ziggy looks more a Cavalier King Charles, long nose, than a King Charles, though his tail feathers seem absent. Foot feathers are there.

Anonymous said...

Black and white these days has this weird, blah, washed out look. Where are the crisp blacks you found in the old days.