Monday, May 14, 2012

45mm lens picture

Here is a sample picture with the Olympus OM-D and the 45mm 1.8 lens. (Short tele, 90mm-equivalent.) This is very pleasing stuff.
I include a contrast-modified version to show the good dynamic range, how much can be brought up in the shadows.
I think the images have a nice rendering, a 3-dimensional quality to them.
F:6.3, 1/50 second, ISO 200.
(if you want the full file, it's here. JPG from camera.)
(And here is one at full opening F:1.8 from the 45mm)

Untouched:


Small crop:

Shadows lifted:

I'm very pleased with the lens and the OM-D. The camera is beautiful, it's just the right size and weight (a bit smaller and lighter than an old Olympus OM-1), and mechanically it just feels good.


It has a pleasant and muted shutter sound (doesn't have a mirror flopping around). And it takes nine frames per second if you need it. I think it's the camera first I've with that speed, I'll rarely need it, but dang it sounds really kewl.

3 comments:

Bruce W. said...

Nice!
Did you set up the objects for the photo or is it "au natural?" If the second, you a better man than I, Gunga Din. . .and you live in a nicer place.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

This is how it's looked for a few years now.

When I was young I lived in an awful mess. In my twenties, *really* awful. A guest once called it "a firetrap". But I guess I changed, and I just keep it pretty tidy generally.
And the first few years since I moved into my own apartment for the first time ten years ago, I bought some basics of nice furniture and a few vases like you see. But that was it, no more space for such stuff unless I want it really cluttered!

Admittedly I have to hire help for cleaning, because I hate doing that, so it rarely got done before. And I guess that was part of why I didn't bother with tidiness, it's a bit useless if the place is not clean. :-)

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Here's a pano I made of the room a while ago.
I'm really happy with the table, it's heavy and solid walnut, and a excellent but simple design, for example the legs are virtually flush with the edges of the top, I love that.