Sunday, February 19, 2012

Nothing mad doing


To obtain a man's opinion of you, make him mad.
           -- Oliver Wendell Holmes

I think that's a quite pessimistic and cynical view. I've occasionally been mad at a good friend of mine, and then I've seen her as a controlling bitch. But when I'm in a good mood, I see her as a lovely person with a good sense of humor. Which view is true? Perhaps neither, or both. But if I have to choose, I'd take the latter. Not only is it more pleasant and fun, but I do think it's more likely to be the truth, since anger is such a strong emotion that it tends to skew one's view of anything. 

3 comments:

Alex Greene said...

The Operative (Chiwetel Ejiofor) [to Captain Malcolm Reynolds (Nathan Fillion)]: "You cannot make me angry."
Inara Serra (Morena Baccarin) [to Operative]: "Please spend an hour with him."
-- Serenity (2005)

Anonymous said...

Either emotional state will no doubt color your opinion, neither is probably 100% accurate.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Yes, no doubt any emotion colors perception.