Friday, September 02, 2011

Wolfman 2010

When I wrote about the classic monsters recently, I found out that Universal had re-done Wolfman in 2010. And being a fan, of course I had to see what blu-ray and recent tech could do with this story.

I am a fan for at least one reason beyond being generally a lover of SF and F, and that is that when I was just the right age, 8-13, Danish publishers were putting out versions of the classic Eerie comics from the fifties. And many of these were not only good, they were amazing. Subversive and surprising stories, and some of the best artists on the planet drew them. So Dracula, the Wolfman, etc, stuck with me good and well.

Reception of the 2010 Wolfman was mixed, but I liked it. Beautifully lit and photographed (and created digitally, like Victorian London rooftops scenes for example), and solid story and solid acting. And very good effects. Unlike some movies done in recent years (van Helsing for example), not done mostly in digital but kept physical where possible, and blended with digital quite seamlessly.  I don't know that the ending quite held up the pace in terms of importance to the story, but overall I quite liked the film.


Just as was the case with the 1992 Bram Stoker's Dracula, I found the intermediate stages of the monster-transformations to be the "scariest" and visually most interesting. In the final shape of both Dracula and Wolfman, they are stuck in the traditional depictions, it seems, but in the middle of the changing, the designers could go wild, and found some interesting far-out inhuman shapes.

5 comments:

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

I have heard of 'Pelle - The Conqueror', but I haven't seen it. I'll look it up, thanks.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

I'm a little confused, does Max von Sydow speak Danish?

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Ah, America is part of the plot, surely he plays an American.

TC [Girl] said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Eolake Stobblehouse said...

I hadn't realized Max von Sydow is Swedish.

Funny, some Swedes and Danes easily cross the language divide, and for others it might as well be another planet.