Friday, February 04, 2011

Jennifer Aniston

Jennifer Aniston, since Friends, has done several "rom-coms" (romantic comedies), some pretty good, some unfortunate. But I think she is a better actor than on might give her credit for. She was so good as Rachel on Friends that one tends to think she just is that way and wasn't acting. But I liked her a lot in some movies with distinctly different characters, like The Good Girl, which I want to re-watch soon, and Friends With Money (trailer), which I just re-watched, and liked a lot, it's funny and relevant, and not at all the "chick flick" one might think it is.

Sure, if one defines "chick flick" as a movie without guns or car chases, then Friends With Money is one. But for me, a chick flick is a shallow, sentimental movie, aimed just at the emotions of women and without perspective or insight. And that it is not.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I haven't seen any of her movies so she might be a better actress than Friends might make people think. None of those actors were exactly tested on that show, and some like David Schwimmer and Courteney Cox have been in some good things since then. Schwimmer I thought was excellent in Band of Brothers. Anyway, I do kind of feel sorry for Aniston because unlike Schwimmer and Cox she's only playing Meg Ryan roles and when she gets too old she too will be unceremoniously kicked to the curb.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Yeah, it's a tough game for Hollywood women.

I've seen various movies with all of the Friends actors, but I didn't think any of them were all that great. (I could have missed yours there.)