Friday, September 24, 2010

Got my Scottevest (updated)

Got my Scottevest today.
I have only started exploring the myriad of pockets, but it's clear that a lot of thought have gone into this. One small example: the right hand pocket (huge like the left) has a smaller inner change pocket, and an elastic band for holding a water bottle upright.
Also the vest is light-weight and surprisingly comfortable.

A correspondent, an internationally beloved tech columnist, was concerned that the vest might droop unless you carefully balanced the weight in the pockets. Happily, it does not, not even with just an iPad in a pocket (I had that when taking the pictures). Oh, and that pocket is so big (in my size anyway), that the iPad can go into it sideways. It can also hold a full magazine without folding it or it sticking up over the pocket. Very unusual.

(I had to include a pic which showed my self-designed tee-shirt. Egoic, sure, but heck, it's my blog.       :-)

There's not much padding, so one might want to have the iPad in a rubber sleeve or something, which is a good thing generally, makes it better for holding.

More features:
  • Two pockets with transparent fabric, through which you can operate a touch-screen. 
  • A pocket for glasses, which include a cleaning cloth in a clip on a string! 
  • A digicam pocket with a tiny pocket for memory cards. 
  • A system for threading a pair of earphones from a player or phone up to the collar. 
All in all there are around thirteen pockets if you count the pockets-in-pockets. (Update: after careful consultation with the company, I did find all 22 alleged pockets, although as Scott himself says they are "pretty liberal in what they consider a pocket". Meaning some are tiny and hard to notice. This is no dis, it has more than enough for sure.)

The big left hand pocket has a sort of sub-pocket partially segregated with a zipper, so small items don't rattle around.
Oh, when it arrives, all pockets each have a little card which gives examples of their possible use. It's ridic, gotta love it.

I am 193cm (6"4) with a long torso, and around 90 kilos (110 last year). I bought a size XXXL. When I opened the parcel, I thought "my gawd, this is HUGE! maybe I have to return it". And indeed I think I could wear a XXL. (Their size calculator indicated either.) But I like clothing loose, and I think it also makes it less warm, so I don't have to take it off any time I go indoors, is my hope anyway.

Here's more "ridic": both hand pockets go well up inside, a tall space. This means, amazingly, that I can fit my Apple Wireless keyboard in one of them! And since it's only a couple hundred grams, I barely feel the weight either. I had not expected this.

Update: I gave the vest its inaugural journey today, in a little trip around town. It is indeed useful. Not the least the iPod pockets and the earphone channel. I don't need to take the iPod out to operate it, and I no longer need to have attention on the earphone leads so they don't catch on anything, either when I use them or not.
And I bought a Dilbert 2011 calendar. Normally this would have meant need for a bag, but not while wearing this sucker.
Even if it had been a large book, I just found another pocket, a really large one taking up most of the back of the vest. I think you could put a spaniel in there.

17 comments:

TC [Girl] said...

Eolake said...
"Oh, and that pocket is so big (in my size anyway), that the iPad can go into it sideways."

WOW! One of, like, 19 pockets or something crazy, wasn't it?! lol! :-)

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

There's around thirteen pockets if you count the pockets-in-pockets.

The huge left hand-warmer pocket has a sort of sub-pocket partially segregated with a zipper, so small items it don't rattle around. Pretty smart.

exolori said...

So much drape you look like a TechnoTeddy Boy (that's intended as a compliment).

Damn! Blogger is getting really clunky for making comments: ever considered Posterous? It's so easy even you could use it, hahaha. There's a migration tool for Bloggists, and if this will swing it: Andy BadHat Ihnatko approves. It's as easy as sending an email when your are posing down at the brasserie in your fine new drape.

Declaration of Interest: my only connection with Posterous is that I use it to provide third party services for some clients.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Wow, I've rarely seen anybody fire off so many double-tongued compliments in so few paragraphs! :-)

Hadn't heard of Posterous, will look.

I can mail a post to Blogger too, though. I forget why I've rarely used it, but I think it works.

A disadvantage to Posing At The Brasserie is that the chairs are not designed for work. My back starts complaining after half an hour. I guess Badhat has a shorter back than I have. Maybe I can't be him like I wanted to.

Anonymous said...

Hey, how'd you get a picture of Vincent Laforet dressed in that thing?

Mike

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Vince and I exchange pics to save time, doubling our output. I go to his Thanksgiving dinners, and he goes to my highschool reunions.

dave_at_efi said...

Surely Dilbert beta-tested this thing.

Is there any provision if your MacGadgets hybridize? You know, like a kangaroo pouch -- with a 12-volt trickle charger for the babies to nurse on?

How do you say "shoplifter" in Brit? This is the perfect garment for such a person. Is there a special pocket for all the sales receipts to be carried around, in case a bobbie questions legal possession?

Or it could double for "alley sales" of items that "fell off the truck."

Have you identified all the pockets yet? If there is a round-bottom one, is it bagel-sized?

XXXL? Does that mean you need an extender belt when you fly? And get there early to airport security -- think how many tubs you will fill for the scanners. Be prepared for some incredulous looks from the security people...

Full up, can you bend over?

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

"Have you identified all the pockets yet?"

I'm not sure! I've found about 14 pockets, but the literature says there's 22. A bit weird.

exolori said...

Just email us at post@posterous.com with your post. We’ll take care of the rest.

That one feature turns technophobes into true believers if they do just exactly what it says. I understand in the broad sense how Posterous does what it does, but it still seems a bit like magic.

I'm not saying Blogger doesn't do that; it's been years since I blog danced with it.

ttl said...

Excellent job dressing yourself!!!1!

I'm a SeV customer myself. I have their Tec Hat. Grey one, without logo.

TC [Girl] said...

dave_at_efi said...
"Is there any provision if your MacGadgets hybridize? You know, like a kangaroo pouch -- with a 12-volt trickle charger for the babies to nurse on?"

Funny!

"How do you say "shoplifter" in Brit? This is the perfect garment for such a person. Is there a special pocket for all the sales receipts to be carried around, in case a bobbie questions legal possession?"

Too funny...I just wrote similar on this other post without having seen your remark until just now! I wonder how many of us are thinking this and...how many are going to be eyeing you, Eo, when you're walkin' down the street! ;-)

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

It is perfect for it, it is even (though I don't know how) designed to not bulge from objects in pockets.)

I often go into stores just to browse, but I never remember to take a basket, so if I actually find a small item, I have to fight the urge to pocket it to have my hands free, lest I be accused of shoplifting. In the new home furnishings store nearby, Dunelm Mill, it got a bit silly, trying to browse while still holding three mugs and two small lamps. But I only went in there to use their nice café!

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Actually they say it's perfect for air travel, you can carry much more aboard, and in security you just slip off the vest and slap it onto the scanner band.

TC [Girl] said...

Now, that, I like! They practically have a person down to their underwear, by the time they're done, anyway! Just one less thing to worry about!

I'd LOVE to have a vid rolling, though, as that vest heads through the x-ray machine! lol! :-D

Philocalist said...

"Actually they say it's perfect for air travel, you can carry much more aboard, and in security you just slip off the vest and slap it onto the scanner band."

Don't try this unless you have a great sense of humour, a tolerant nature, and PLENTY of time to spare before the flight.........

I flew out a few days back, and in front of me at security was a garment similar to this, without too much empty space in the pockets ... was this guy smug or what? :-)
Off comes the coat, onto the belt, into the box and it beeps ... at which point the guy is 'invited' to step aside.
Something set off the sensor; EVERYTHING came out of the coat, much to the amusement of the other passengers.....
SEVENTY minutes later he came rushing to the departure gate, red faced, pouring with sweat, VERY hot and bothered.
Off came the coat, to be met with the advice that he either needs to put it into his (single) piece of hand-luggage, or put it back on again ... ONE piece of hand baggage only through the gate!

I'd quietly spoken to a security guy earlier (I've a vested interest in the 'official' standpoint)
As I know from experience, photographers have worn this type of thing past customs for years, as have anglers etc, with impunity ... the official viewpoint now being that it is 'discretionary', this being affected by various things including the attitude of the passenger, and how closely he resembles a working camel! :-)

Play fair, not a problem ... stick two fingers up at 'em (metaphorically), and customs guys can suddenly grow pointy teeth and claws! ( Was great fun, been there, done it as a job for a while!)

So, theoretically, it's OK, but in practice, it's a measured risk :-)

And, curiously enough, the coat was no-where to be seen at the return flight check-in .........

From the lion's mouth said...

What size spaniel? Are we talking King Charles, or Cocker?

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

King Charles, the smaller one.