Saturday, September 04, 2010

An empty desk

I'm honestly not really sure about what to say about Einstein's thought here. (Except that it's a nicely witty retort.) But two thoughts occurred to me about the photo: if the purpose was to show a neat and pretty computer desk, a bluetooth keyboard would have been even better. (I try to avoid bluetooth, it seems so buggy to me.) Which is probably why Apple is pushing bluetooth so much, it looks neater.
And secondly: I think I rapidly would become tired of the lamp reflecting in the glass table top. Like, within 90 seconds.


(I would also have used a different desktop image than Apple's over-used starfield, but hey well.)

I'm fanatical about keeping my virtual desktop totally clean, to enjoy the images I have there better. But funny enough, I'm less so about my real desktop. I'm working after all, and if I put for example my pens and my reading glasses in a drawer, that's so many more times I'll have to open and close drawers. 
But actually, I guess there is only on it what needs to be. Except for a camera or two for decoration and inspiration. But once you have the non-matching but high-performance keyboard and trackballs and their cables, and the books under the screens to elevate them, making it look totally neat is pretty much a lost cause anyway.  
[Thanks to Naeem]

6 comments:

ttl said...

Einstein's proposition is buggy. Empty is an attribute for containers. It is incorrect, or at least imprecise, to use it to describe a surface, such as a desktop. What you should use instead is the word clear. The question then becomes:

“If a cluttered desk signs a cluttered mind, of what, then, is a clear desk a sign?”

Monsieur Beep! said...

It must be a pleasure to work with all those Apple tools.
I´m font of that big Mac! Plus the keyboard. It has a comfortable feel, I tried it out in the shop.
My MacBook´s keyboard is similarly comfy.

My mind tends to be empty instead of clear, on so many occasions....

Haha! Have a good week-ending weekend!

Monsieur Beep! said...

fond

Ray said...

@ Monsieur Beep

You mean ?

"Ich mag die großen Mac!"

Enjoy your weekend, Monsieur.

TC [Girl] said...

Eolake said...
"I think I rapidly would become tired of the lamp reflecting in the glass table top."

I would just tilt it to reflect more in the space between the desktop and the wall; put a dimmer, frosted, bulb in; and/or switch out the glass for a frosted slab. :-)

I'm actually digging the bright and cheery turquoise, etc. lighting in that corner. :-)

If Einstein were alive, today, I'd just tell him that everything is in this amazing machine sitting in front of me; that I've adapted quite well to change. :-D

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Pretty amazing, yes. Today's iMac is as big and powerful at least as the $3000 G5 of three-four years ago, including most of the memory and storage options. (And the Mac Pro did not even include the screen.)