Tuesday, July 13, 2010

A few quotes from the Quotes of the Day service

Vegetarianism is harmless enough, though it is apt to fill a man with wind and self-righteousness.
           -- Sir Robert Hutchinson

When all is said and done, the weather and love are the two elements about which one can never be sure.
           -- Alice Hoffman, 'Here on Earth'

Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up.
           -- Pablo Picasso

It doesn't matter if you win or lose in the big, scary jungle of the real world. Winners and losers... Enemies and allies... We don't live in a comic book! This is the real deal.
           -- Takayuki Ikkaku, Arisa Hosaka and Toshihiro Kawabata, Animal Crossing: Wild World, 2005

5 comments:

Anna Aniko said...

Dunno. Haven't checked the quotations lately, but I think these are not the best ones. I used to make lists of my favorites, the first months of my going to the site...

For the vegetarianism, I think meat-eating can also fill people with self-righteousness. Anything can fill people with self-righteousness if they are prone to be filled with self-righteousness. I myself have had a lot of people vehemently trying to convince me not to be vegetarian, though I have never tried to convince anybody to follow my eating habits.

Anonymous said...

I really like the Picasso quote. Everyone draws, paints, etc. when they're a child but quit when they grow up. These are things people should do their whole lives even if they're not good at it. It's the same with a lot of things. You sing songs as a kid even if you're talentless just because you enjoy doing it.

ttl said...

I myself have had a lot of people vehemently trying to convince me not to be vegetarian, though I have never tried to convince anybody to follow my eating habits.

This has been my experience as well. The one who goes against the norm is the one who has to deal with the self-righteousness ones.

Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live. --Oscar Wilde

Setting an example is not the main means of influencing another, it is the only means. --Albert Einstein

Anna Aniko said...

> This has been my experience as well.

Funny. :)

> The one who goes against the norm is the one who has to deal with the self-righteousness ones.

Well, I have met aggressive vegetarians too. It's just about being self-righteous or not.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

one of the old sages, may even have been Hey-Zeus himself, said to care more about what comes out of your mouth than into it.