Saturday, June 26, 2010

iPh cam comp

A reader was asking about comparisons between the camera in the new iPhone 4 and those of other smart phones. Here we go. (Summary: it does really well, even against some with more pixels.)
"Apple said the quality of the camera parts is more important to capturing good photos than a high megapixel count. Our lab’s test results support that theory, showing that a 5-megapixel camera can shoot higher quality images than an 8-megapixel camera."

It amuses me to think that in theory you can work as a journalist with only an iPhone 4 and a foldable keyboard. The photos and video are certainly good enough for web use, you can write on it with no trouble, I've tried, and you can email in the results to your editor, or post it yourself in various ways. And of course it's a phone too, in case a journalist ever needs that. That's just ridiculous for something you can have in a pants pocket. (My ThinkOutside foldable keyboard fits easily in a pants pocket, it does not even have to be a large pocket.)

3 comments:

Timo Lehtinen said...

Indeed. In fact, I am so convinced that I have decided to get one for myself.

This then will give me the right to wear an iPlacard on my head.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Wow. I actually own a propeller hat, and I thought it was the geekiest thing one could wear on the head. I was *totally* wrong.

KC Aussie said...

Here is a fascinating example of an entire short movie shot and edited on the new iPhone 4 ... most impressive!

http://www.vimeo.com/12819723