Saturday, June 05, 2010

Going Postal review

I'm watching the new Terry Pratchett movie Going Postal, on British TV this week. It's not bad at all. The golems, like all attempts I've seen so far at catching clay/stone characters (The Thing from Fantastic Four included) is a little failed in my taste. They still look more like rubber than burnt clay. But the story is enganging, and the casting is good, and overall the visuals are very nice. I like it better than the last one, the wizard film.

They have added a lot moralism about the main character, which I think is OK, he really did not have much of a character arch in that book otherwise, or much of a reason for being in the difficult position he's in as postmaster of the totally failed and collapsed Anck-Morpork post office.

If you like stern women in black, and strong women, you will like Adora Belle Dearheart, played by Claire Foy. Beautiful. Some may find her too, uh, dominating, others may like that.     :-)



Adora Belle Dearheart, played by Claire Foy


4 comments:

Jan said...

Great eyes. My first impression was "Zooey Deschanel!"

Alex said...

I'd tired of Pratchett, but Going Postal and Making Money are a great delightful read.

Was a little miffed with the film of Hogfather, but I now have hopes for Going Postal as a movie. Thanks for the heads up.

Miserere said...

I never knew they'd made films of Terry Pratchett books. I imagine these are low-budget BBC movies or similar, which would explain the crappy golems. You need some good CGI for that.

I love Terry Pratchett books because he writes in so many layers. He's a very intelligent, cultured person who hides behind this façade of Fantasy Writer, but deep down he's a Philosopher.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

That's right.

---
The movies are indeed low-budget compared to Hollywood movies. But they're surprisingly good looking for all that. And I did not care more for The Thing's look in the high-budget Fantastic Four movies.
Not to sound too defensive. But yes, they are made-for-TV movies, but I think they're in the high end of those. And even higher when you consider it's fantasy, with all the FX work that entails.