Sunday, May 16, 2010

Sekunda


I just remembered a little exchange from about 25 years ago when I was a young amateur artist. (Now I am a middle-aged amateur artist.)

There's a small, but classy and charming arts supplies store right in the heart of Copenhagen (close the famous Walking Street), Rubin Og Magnussen, next to a gallery of the same name. I think the original founder was in the store that day. I was looking at his bigger watercolor brushes and I was a bit shocked at the prices, which were like five times what I would have expected to pay. (Though fine watercolor brushes are made from the hairs from the marten and such.)
So I commented to him about how I'd seen brushes at dramatically more reasonable prices, and he said with conviction: "Hvis du har købt sekunda, så har det ikke været her". Or "If you have bought second-rate tools, it has not been in this store".

I don't remember if I've ever heard any other person use the word "sekunda" in Danish, but from the tone and the origin of the word clearly referring to "second", it was clear what it meant. What a wonderful and economical word. Just one word to convey all the significance and attitude about "second-rate tools".

And also the fact that even though I was clearly just an ignorant youth, he did not explain or make excuses about their prices, he just in one short sentence make it clear that his shop carried only first-class materials, and had the prices which naturally follows those. Gotta love it.

6 comments:

dave nielsen said...

Although, it's a good shop that sells the second-rate (or worse) because you don't want to be the artist equivalent of that kid who has all the best equipment but still sucks. It would be like your average amateur golfer using the same clubs as Tiger Woods. It'd be a waste.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Well, but then at least you have the pleasure of the tools. I love good tools.

If you suck and have cheap-o tools too, then everything sucks. :-)

ganesha games said...

just a couple of really good brushes and some time will teach you more about watercolors than any teacher... and if you use them for watercolors only, they will last a long, long time, while the cheap synthetic brushes will lose their fine point after a month or two of intense use. I have been using the same handmade brush for 90% of my work in the last 10 years.( I think it is made of squirrel tail hair but I might be wrong. I usually do not buy animal products).

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Good point. Quality pays.

George said...

"Sekunda" (секунда) is also a Russian / Bulgarian word for "second" (as a duration of time).

p.p. I have no idea how Cyrillic will be rendered...

dave nielsen said...

just a couple of really good brushes and some time will teach you more about watercolors than any teacher.

You can't achieve real mastery without some instruction. Even this dude had teachers, and I'd bet there are few finer masters of watercolor painting.