Monday, May 10, 2010

Cheap hosting

Laked pointed this article to cheap web hosting.
I would say, if it's an important web site, get professional hosting (it's cheap now) instead of using, for instance, Dropbox's folders to host it. Not only does a real domain name look much more professional, but there's also no guarantee that Dropbox will suddenly decide that web hosting is a mis-use of their service, and delete those sites. But it can be used for fun little things.

Just for fun, I tried it out by putting my own front page in there. Wow, it really works. (The links don't work, because I did not upload the rest of the site, only the front page and graphics.) (Here's the real page.) DropBox is simply free and easy and flexible FTP (file transfer protocol) service, impressive, I think.

I don't know why I haven't found LifeHacker long ago, they have lots of good stuff, like this article about how to avoid the stress caused by perfectionism.

3 comments:

laked said...

"I would say, if it's an important web site, get professional hosting...

Absolutely. It's called cloud cuckoo land for a reason. "Put your trust in God, my boys, and keep your powder dry!" Please do not remove the warning label on your hotel-room hairdryer that says, "Not for use in the bath or shower."

* Oliver's Advice (1856) by Valentine Blacker (1778-1823)

womili said...

Get one of these. Keep a backup.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/iosafe-solo-giveaway/

Lifehacker (good name) and Makeuseof (kludgy name) are indispensable if you want to keep a breast, smirk.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Thank you very much.

---
Yes, Makeuseof is a much more kludgy name than womili or Eolake. :-)