Thursday, April 01, 2010

Instapaper for iPad

I have bought my first dedicated iPad app: Instapaper Pro 2.2.2, universal for all three devices (which of course are iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad. What to call them collectively?).

Talking about the iPad (yes, still, I know... better get used to it), DP has a good likkle FAQ about it.
Q: Am I really supposed to buy this thing when I already have a laptop and an iPhone?

A: It always surprises me how many people are made indignant by the very thought of the iPad, as though Congress passed a law that requires you to buy one!
You're not, as it turns out. Buying one is totally optional.
That said, the question is a little odd, because the iPad really is very different from a laptop or an iPhone. I guess people have a lot of trouble with the idea that it's a new category, something unlike anything they've used before. All people can do is compare it in their heads with stuff they HAVE used before.
But I'm telling you, the multitouch screen/software makes it very, very different from a laptop, and the screen size makes it very, very different from an iPhone. It's something entirely new.
-

5 comments:

TC [Girl] said...

Eolake said...
"(which of course are iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad. What to call them collectively?)."

Well...I think you know what *I* would call it but...I'll give you the "cleaned up" version of what I would suppose to call it: 'iStuff' or 'MiSuff' :-D

"Talking about the iPad (yes, still, I know... better get used to it)"

ROFLMAO! I can see TTL's eyes rolling, right now!! Right Dude?! ;-)

TC [Girl] said...

BE CAREFUL! ;-)

Anonymous said...

As a follow up to TC's post on pricing. The price of ten apps for the iPad.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/04/10-apps-were-excited-to-try-on-ipad-launch-day/

TC [Girl] said...

Oh dear! I think I will become an ADDICT...of BOTH the iPad & the apps...as well as 'Wired's'(how to write that?! lol!) Twitter - "presence" 'Gadget Lab'!! Pretty soon, I'm gonna hafta put my ear plugs in and just sit and go "blah, blah, blah" 'cuz it's gonna KILL ME to not be able to afford this iPad, yet!! :-( (I'll be the one over in the corner w/the straight jacket on quietly singing 'Somewhere Over the Rainbow'! lol!)

Timo Lehtinen said...

... which of course are iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad. What to call them collectively?

iPuddle ?

I can see TTL's eyes rolling, right now!! Right Dude?! ;-)

As long he doesn't start the "In the 1990s, if you wanted to get an iPad with these capabilities, you had to pay nearly 20% more for it - how amazing" routine, I'm OK. ;-)

'cuz it's gonna KILL ME to not be able to afford this iPad, yet!! :-(

Don't worry, TC. Without the 'pad fighting for our attention, we are more likely to get real work done. So when the 'padists wake up a year from now, wondering where all the time went, we will have stuff we've created to show them! We will win in the end! :-)