Friday, December 25, 2009

snowcar

I've optimized this for print. With the matte, enhanced contrast, and the black line where I usually have a white one, the print looks great.


Sam suggested a red line:


I think it works pretty well, though it has to be a very thin line to not dominate.
I think I prefer the black-line version though. It could be just my conservatism speaking, I dunno.

-------
Panasonic G1, kit zoom. I used NIK Viveza to lighten the red without lightening the grey or white. It's an impressive app, very quick and intuitive automatic masking based on colors. It would be near impossible to make a mask for just the red in Photoshop (because of the raggedness of the edge), although you could approach the effect by simply a feathered rough mask.

9 comments:

Sukiho said...

couldnt you just adjust the red without using a mask in photoshop?

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

You'd think, but I am not aware of a way that's as simple.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

See here.

Sukiho said...

I imagine go to hue/saturation or selective color and choose red and then adjust the lightness or black level

Sam Pieter said...

I wonder how it looks with a red line instead of black. Would you want to give it a go?

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Interesting idea. I might.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

OK, done, reload the post.

Sam Pieter said...

It sure looks dominating, the red line. But, now that I'm switching back and forth between the two pictures, I find the black one also dominating! Silly, as I'm sure that it wasn't when I looked at it for the first time ...

Also it's hard to see how it looks like with such small on-screen images. Did you actually print it?

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Not the red-line one.
I do like the black-line one though.