Friday, October 23, 2009

Serious Use of Compact Camera Images in Graphic Design

Serious Use of Compact Camera Images in Graphic Design, article.
"As someone also doing serious and fine art photography with compacts for the past couple of years, this is where I fall into a dilemma. While on one hand I strive to capture technically sound images and am always on the lookout for the next compact that would raise the bar on my images, on the other hand as a designer I make do with images that I would reject outright for technical flaws if taken by me. Images used in important publications, which may be read and used by top national and international organizations, governmental agencies, funding agencies, think tanks and the like, taken with automatic point-and-shoot cameras I would not even look at! Thus I wonder if it is the image (the subject, the moment, the interrelationship of elements, the light, etc.) and the purpose for which it was taken that really matters and that the rest is essentially 'technical' and 'secondary', the bit photographers tend to worry too much about these days!"

If you have followed my blog for a while, you'll know that I struggle with similar issues. On the one hand, I know that technical perfection has very little to do with the artistic impact of a photograph, and in fact many of the most famous pictures in the world are very imperfect technicality. On the other hand, I'm enamored with the tech side of things, and it's hard to separate this from the creativity.

1 comment:

Monsieur Beep! said...

I don´t think it´s always necessary to have the latest, most expensive, best equipment around to take successful and impressive photos.

I see it like this:

Imagine you have bad eye sight, and go to the woods and see a wonderful fairy walk around, all shapes so smooth and colours so balanced and beautiful.
Now you go on and get your spectacles and put them on your nose: blergh, what a sight: pimples everywhere, rashes, wrinkles. The fairy might even have turned into a witch after all.

You take off your glasses again and can enjoy once more, what a perfect image!