Monday, October 05, 2009

Ole pics, D100

I suddenly felt like digging up some old photos which I'd never published before. No sooner said than done. Well, a little sooner.
I think they are all from a Nikon D100, my first DSLR*. And one of the earliest really good digital cameras you could get at a reasonable price. I still have good-sized prints framed on my wall taken with that camera.
(My good friend, pro photog Laurie, had the Nikon D1, which he'd bought a year or two before. He got well hot in the top when he saw that the D100 took much better pictures than the D1, at under a third of the price.)






*Update: no, I lie. I had a Canon 30D before that. Or was it called D30? Damn their naming games. Anyway, it was the first affordable (relatively, at about $3000) DSLR at three megapixels. Then Nikon leap-frogged them to six megapixels with the D100. At six megapixels is when the cameras stopped being toys for real.

2 comments:

Ray said...

$3,000 for 3 megapixels ?

This little Canon Ixus-30 has 3.2 megapixels, and it cost around $200
back in the Christmas season of 2004.
It still takes very nice pictures.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Yes, the rate of change is breathtaking.