Thursday, October 15, 2009

Nikon D3s, lower light

With the new pro Nikon camera, the D3s, Nikon has kept the 12MP resolution, but raised sensitivity to around 12,000 ISO. I applaud them for this. Personally I think higher resolution than about 12MP is for specialized situations, like really big prints (meter-big), but that we can use more low-light capability for a while yet. Why even in daylight outdoors, on a dull winter day here in Northern Europe, you pretty much need ISO 1600 for shooting with a telezoom (especially if it's not stabilized).

Funny enough, according to survey, 1600 is all most people say they need. I think it's up to what you're used to. It's not long ago that 400 ISO was the highest you could use in good quality, so we are still amazed at good 1600 ISO quality. The philosophical idea behind this, I guess, is that we just a bit more than we are used to, then we think we'll be happy. If we have a new level (of anything), then after a while we are used to it, and want a bit more. (We get used to higher levels faster and easier than lower ones.)

7 comments:

emptyspaces said...

I think you hit the nail on the head concerning the TOP survey. It's a crowd of photographers who cut their teeth on film, where pushing 400 film to 1600 was about the best you could do. So, as you say, clean ISO 1600 images seem all the more impressive.

Personally, I voted for ISO 3200 in that poll. I really feel that 99.999% of my shooting can be accomplished at that level or less.

Now how about a compact camera that can take decent shots at 1600? That would be a serious winner.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Yes it would.
The closest we come is the GF1 and E-P1.

neeraj said...

Now how about a compact camera that can take decent shots at 1600?

I'm not a photographer. So, I hope it's not understood as a proposal from a wise guy, but just as a question:

What about the Canon PowerShot G11 ? (www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/G11/G11A.HTM)

They have reduced the resolution down to 10 megapixels for a better low-light performance.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Good cam, but very unlikely to give usable pictures at 1600 ISO. Even the GF1, which has a much bigger sensor, is about reaching its limit there.

emptyspaces said...

I had an E-P1 for a month for testing purposes, and 800 is really the top ISO you'd want to use. I haven't played with the GF1 yet, but I suspect the same is true.

neeraj said...

Aha. Well, I simply don't know. For me the description of the G11 sounded good.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

emptyspaces, you are pretty much right.
If you use RAW and some slight of hand, you can force 1600 ISO to be usable, better than camera JPGs. See here,