Saturday, October 17, 2009

Falling off and John A's pictures

My friend John A visited today. I'd given him a camera for his birthday a couple months ago, and today we viewed his pictures on my 30-inch screen. This was quite a revelation for him, he told me, seeing them on such a big and sharp monitor not only showed what great quality his pocketcamera really delivers (I still get impressed by the little Canons especially), but also showed that he'd achieved what he'd been intending when he took the pictures.
Also we sometimes saw things he had not noticed when he took the picture, and which you needed a big screen (or print) to really notice, for example on a very good picture (see below, the picture with the train), three people very far off, but perfectly placed under a bridge. A really nice detail.

John and I talked about how different people react to jokes, some not getting them sometimes, or even getting offended. John said he talked to people about how he'd once been hurt in a bicycle accident, and recently he fell off a mountain (the guy is fifteen years older than me, but has more energy it seems) and dislocated a shoulder. So now, he tells people, he is done with highly active activities where there's a danger of falling off. "Like bicycling or mountaineering. And sex is right out!"
Believe it or not, it seems many don't get it or laugh.

Here's some of his recent pictures. I think he has a great eye for composition*, what do you think? (I'm trying to get him to start a page on Flickr or Picasa or something.)






* I did not have to crop a millimeter of any of them to fine-tune the compositions, that's not something you see often.


Below is a detail from the train picture mentioned (and shown) above:

8 comments:

Bruce said...

I too like the photo of the train. It gives a sense of movement, and contrary movement at that. The feeling is that the train is moving left to right: perhaps because of the way the graphic on the train is oriented. The people are moving right to left. Technology goes one way while people go the other?

Alex said...

I'm not sure if it's my glasses, or the sensor is bigger than the viewing area, but the picture always is a bit off.

Still, not as bad as in film days where you saw one thing, the negative showed another and the print (thanks bonus print) showed something else.

That underpass, Victoria? Reminds me of Stockport, but not quite.

Did you ever do an early evening shoot at Salford Quays yet? Maybe John's got the energy to get there.

Picasa works well with Blogspot. And yes I'd like to see more of Johns work too. It's easy, fun and rewarding.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

In live view the picture is dead equal to what you saw on the screen. On a DSLR it is more dicey, apparently it's a big deal to make it really accurate, which is why only really expensive cameras have 100% finder coverage.

John A said...

The underpass is Salford Central Station. Most of the station has been renovated, and is worth a visit, as is the surrounding area. Be warned, there is a vast drop from the train and the platform. But a good excuse to help women on and off the train! Also like Bruce's comment about Technology. I'm a distinct technophobe myself, and am only just starting to appreciate computers, and the net. - John A

Alex said...

All those years living in Manchester, and I don't remember hearing of Salford Central. I did most of my train commuting on the Style line, from E. Disbury to Manchester, Oxford Rd. I used the train to get home to Cheseter, either from Victoria or Oxford Rd.

Salford has some interesting things going on. I hiked through there one night in 89 on the Bogle Stroll. I also made the pilgrimage to "Weatherfield Docks" and "Coronation St".

Salfords a little far for me to go to these days, but I would love to see what's happened in the last 15 years. I saw the last "Cracker", the one where Fitz came back to Manchester after 15 years. I truly didn't recognize half of it. Sure the bombing changed a small area, but I hear a lot of other things changed.

So John, where's your photo blog?

Did EO show you those photos from around Castlefields he shared with us all about a year ago? I believe a cycling magazine. Ah, I miss Victorian industrial areas, they photograph so well.

TC [Girl] said...

John A. said...
"I'm a distinct technophobe myself, and am only just starting to appreciate computers, and the net."

But you're a dude who is in shape, so...don't get stuck behind the computer screen too long at one stretch. :-)

I also like your pics; particularly the cute Mama duck and her babies, as well as the place you were walking and caught that ray of sun *just so*.

I agree w/Eo: I hope you set up a Flickr account; it would be cool to stop by, once in awhile, and see what else you've shot.

Sorry to read about your shoulder injury. Hope that heals quickly. No push-ups for you, for awhile, I guess!

Monsieur Beep! said...

A great eye for composition indeed, his and my style, after all, are in fact similar. Which came to my mind when I browsed his pics and compared them with mine, also in respect to "hidden but important details". You might agree when you watch my flickr gallery.
I'd be pleased if you could convince him to become a flickr member, because a) you can learn A LOT about photography in that place, and b) a basic membership is free. I'd love to have him as my new flickr contact.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Thank you very much.
I've forwarded.

John is not *very* active on the Net, but you never know.