Sunday, July 05, 2009

78 rules

[Thanks to tOP] This feels like one of those books from the fifties giving the (really) basic rules of photography.
Except there are some pretty surrealistic ones mixed in, like:

... And here I've been photographing onions lit from the front my whole life!

Other faves:


... Anyway, I think the whole thing is meant to be humorous, but who can tell these days?

Update: the man's own photos.
"i took pictuire of tv how woman speaks on the phone"

Tommy said:
We've had discussions about composition recently. I think that example number 56 might be an execellent example of good composition. You're eye kind of travels around and then goes right to the desired subject, the fly. Additionally, it's in perfect focus with that slight blur in the background to emphasize the subject even further.
My only complaint might be the lighting, the subject, the fly, could have been side lighted much like the onions. (grin)


Eolake said...
Yes, the funny thing is that advanced photographers will often invert the rules with more interesting results. For example, placing the person in smack in the middle of the picture is either done by a rank amateur or as a deliberate provocation by an artist. :-)

A self-portrait I had in an exhibition thirty years ago had a sharp tree in the background, with my head stuck in front from the side, out of focus but filling most of the frame. I kind of liked that one actually. The tree was this big beautiful weeping willow we had, I like those.

11 comments:

Michael Burton said...

I am rarely photographed, because photographers taking portraits try to avoid facial defects.

Bruce Oksol said...

A close friend years ago took a photography class. Her camera did not require her to remove the lens cap to use the viewfinder. Needless to say, one of her "advanced" learning lessons was to remember to remove the lens cap when taking photographs.

TC [Girl] said...

I LOVE the pointer on the bird photography! HILARIOUS! What a GREAT IDEA! Thank you for that! LMAO!! :-)

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Bruce, I think everybody who's used that kind of camera has done that. They really should have a warning system, like the shutter will not work if the cap is on.

brian said...

... And here I've been photographing onions lit from the front my whole life!

Eolake, you are a fucking amateur! Everybody knows you photograph onions with side light! Duh! ;-)

Bruce, I think everybody who's used that kind of camera has done that.

Yes, I think so. I know I have!

Tommy said...

We've had discussions about composition recently. I think that example number 56 might be an execellent example of good composition. You're eye kind of travels around and then goes right to the desired subject, the fly. Additionally, it's in perfect focus with that slight blur in the background to emphasize the subject even further.

My only complaint might be the lighting, the subject, the fly, could have been side lighted much like the onions. (grin)

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Yes, the funny thing is that advanced photographers will often invert the rules with more interesting results. For example, placing the person in smack in the middle of the picture is either done by a rank amateur or as a deliberate provocation by an artist. :-)

A self-portrait I had in an exhibition thirty years ago had a sharp tree in the background, with my head stuck in front, out of focus but filling most of the frame. I kind of liked that one actually. The tree was this big beautiful weeping willow we had, I like those.

Chris S. said...

He misses one of the key rules (for the Internet and likely elsewhere too): if you want people to look at your photo then include a beautiful women. Well, any women will do but ideally some strange beauty is best.

I've long had a strong interest in art photography. I saw this list yesterday and found it mildly humorous but was amazed to see how many commenters there took it seriously enough to post criticism. I don't know why I'm amazed - the Internet is the funniest place that everything is taken seriously.

btw the word Internet is only recognized by your spell checker as a valid word when capitalized. I guess it's a "place name".

Tommy said...

Chris said "btw the word Internet is only recognized by your spell checker as a valid word when capitalized. I guess it's a "place name"."

Actually the Internet is a place...it's a big cloud in which you can easily get totally lost and maybe even led astray.

Eolake, my neighbor also liked a big weeping willow that I had in my front yard, right after it was taken down. You see they tend to be a messy tree and it's mess always ended up in his front yard.. He was good natured about it though, but real happy to see it go.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

I didn't realize they were more messy than ordinary.
Man, did I climb that tree a lot. I think I spent more time in that tree than in my favorite chair.

A big house in the neighborhood has two *huge* willows. They were gorgeous. For some reason it didn't occur to me to photograph them back then, I wonder why. I guess there was no good angle and I was so shy that it didn't even *occur* to me to ask permission to go in their garden.

Chris S. said...

I love willow trees. I have memories of one I used to walk by each day on the way to school. Why would I remember that tree and not others? It doesn't seem to hold any other special connections for me. Just a beautiful tree. The crying tree.