Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Paris, Texas, and Nastassja

Just watching Paris, Texas, it's a rather special movie. One of those films which just has an undefinable quality.
Stanton is the same. And so is Nastassja Kinski. She is one of those people who you'd notice no matter how or where you saw her, I think.

Some very rare people have a sort of beauty and presence which just seems to defy them being in the same universe as the rest of us. Marilyn Monroe and both Hepburns are obvious examples.



The girl is in a peepshow when he meets her. It's a funny thing: to me straight prostitution does not seem sordid in and off itself. But a peepshow? Really sad and really sordid. Apart from the advantage of zero risk of VD, I really don't see any upside to it for either the customer or the girl. It's prostitution with any possibility of warmth clinically removed.

3 comments:

Anonymoussa said...

> It's a funny thing: to me straight prostitution does not seem sordid in and off itself.

I agree. Only it should be legalized. The sordid part of it is the hypocrisy all around, that makes life unsafe for the girls, physically, financially, etc. It is work, it is service, and if there is a safe surrounding, it can be rewarding for both girl and client. Just saw a really nice documentary about it, by Jean-Michel Carré, it is french but there should be subtitles.

> But a peepshow? Really sad and really sordid. Apart from the advantage of zero risk of VD, I really don't see any upside to it for either the customer or the girl. It's prostitution with any possibility of warmth clinically removed.

Well, I think this might be really true from the customer part. And if prostitution was legal, I guess peepshow would decrease.

But from the girl's point of view, come on! I feel a certain lack of empathy here. If she dances and strips, it is just theater, no harm. If she is a prostitute, she has to let anybody who pays f* her... I think there is a big difference.

Me being a woman, I think that if I really needed money, I could be a stripper. Some woman actually do it for a shorter time, to reach some personal goals, like going back to study, preparing for a longer trip... Just theater, well paid. I guess one can manage psychologically to remain unharmed, or at least recover relatively shortly (a few years).

But if I had to become a prostitute, I think I'd rather shoot myself.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Fair enough.

Alex said...

In Wheedon's Firefly 'verse, prostitution is not only legal, but a highly respected profession. There an academy trained "companion" can choose partners.

Sure, that is the view in the core planets, and at the rim it's a different story.