Saturday, February 21, 2009

Calls in UK for ban on ‘Final Exit’

Calls in UK for ban on the bestselling book ‘Final Exit’, blog post by the author of that book.

I think the usually religion-inspired pressure against the right to suicide or help with it is one of the great irrationalities of the human culture. Surely, if anything at all is ours to rule over, it's our own life?

Some say that it's only God's to rule over. But I notice that what we know about God's opinion on the matter is only what they say.

Forcing a terminally ill person to keep living is tantamount to torture. I think any person who is opposed to death-help should be made to sit for twenty-four hours listening to the agonized cries and moans of such a patient.

Pascal says:
I dare say that as a doctor, I know quite well when each attitude is adequate and ethically relevant. I couldn't stand myself if I became in any way a needless tormentor.

Denying a dying person the right for self-determination? To quote my brother when we knew about our cat's cancer: "Let's not drag this on, it's not humane, even an animal doesn't deserve this."

How shameful of us humans, that in so many instances, we treat our kin worse than we'd dare treat an animal! And under the justification of love?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Forcing a terminally ill person to keep living is tantamount to torture."

It is hard to defend suicide. However death is not always the worst option.

When there is no hope and the pain is beyond endurance, death can be a release.

Hope I never need to make that choice.

Joe

Pascal [P-04referent] said...

Suicide is a mistake when not carefully thought out with a clear mind. When it can be simply a waste of someone's life. Typical example: a heartache.

But.

My first cat got a nasty cancer. I saw him waste away before my eyes, and most of all, get reduced to the constantly suffering shadow of his former glorious self. Pathetically pissing blood every 20 minutes. Literally, he was barely more than dragging himself around and enduring with incredible stoicism. And seeking my gaze for... support? an explanation? help? But cats are too proud to ask for help, and this was the proudest, most independant cat I had ever known, and to this day.

I'm very grateful that I only know what cancer pain is like from outside testimonies. But I loved my cat, and because of that love, I took him to the vet to end his suffering. It was probably the least painful moment of his last several months.
And I took the decision by asking myself what I would do if my cat was a human capable of expressing and saying "it hurts so much, that's not a life any more".

I also know how enduring cats can be. That very same cat had, years earlier, a very nasty wound, and didn't make a peep to complain about it. But once treated, that wound healed VERY fast, and impeccably, restoring his full health. So yeah, I know perfectly well when a brave person/creature is suffering in vain, compared to when courage is adequate.
I dare say that as a doctor, I know quite well when each attitude is adequate and ethically relevant. I couldn't stand myself if I became in any way a needless tormentor.

Denying a dying person the right for self-determination? To quote my brother when we knew about our cat's cancer: "Let's not drag this on, it's not humane, even an animal doesn't deserve this."

How shameful of us humans, that in so many instances, we treat our kin worse than we'd dare treat an animal! And under the justification of love? WTF?!?
The only word that can "explain" this contradiction, is that the thought processes causing it are insanity.

Yeah, the world is mad awright.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

"It is hard to defend suicide."

Personally I think it's much harder to *attack* suicide. It's almost the ultimate in running other people's lives for them.