Thursday, January 15, 2009

Pogue on twitter

David Pogue weighs in on Twitter.
"I found one rule, though, that answered a long-standing question I had about Twitter: "Don't tweet about what you're doing right now." Which is weird, since that's precisely how the typing box at Twitter.com is labeled: "What are you doing?"
I've always wondered who the heck would be interested in the mundane details of your life. As it turns out, though, most people broadcast other stuff in their tweets."
-

David, apart from his books, videos, and whatnot, also has two columns per week. The other one is here this week. It doesn't have a subject, he is soooooo lazy.

7 comments:

Alex said...

Linked in asks "What are you doing now?" and I always took that to be answered along the lines of...

"I am know engaged in the role of firmware engineer in a company specializing in lighting controllers for the limousine and rental furniture markets."

Not to be answered...

"I am updating my LinkedIn profile using a laptop PC with a Logitech Keyboard, while enjoying an imported Crunchie Bar (Cadbury's equivalent to a Vilolet Crumble, both mass produced varients of cinder toffee)."

Which shows I'm not as literally minded and AR as I sometimes think I am. c.f. ornery, obstreperous, pedant

captcha:-eneochip

Anonymous said...

In his Twitter stream, David is all the rage about the new Apple MacBook Wheel.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

How come some twit streams, but not Pogues, have tweets (and twits) from many different people? And can I change how I see it?

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Oooooh, I want my Wheel.

Timo Lehtinen said...

Do you mean tweets like this one on stephenfry's twit stream:

@toliver182 Not sure they need my help! Update to yellowsn0w has addressed most problems. There'll be more too. x

If yes, then it's not a tweet by toliver182, but rather a tweet by stephenfry directed to user toliver182.

I don't think you can change anything about how another user's stream appears to you. Apart from blocking it altogether, of course.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Thank you very much.

It's only recently I see "@" being used in this way. I wonder if it's new (in broad use).

Cristina Rodguez said...

You can customize your own stream, and decide what you let other people see, so in fact you are not seeing all the interaction that goes on. You can also "direct message" privately. I'm still learning about Tweeter, right now in my stream you can not see what my contacts answer directly to me.