Saturday, January 24, 2009

Objectified movie

Objectified is a documentary about design, which will have premiere in March. I'll watch it as soon as it comes on disk. (Hopefully blu-ray.)

BTW, a blog (like the site for this movie) is an easy site to set up, but for many projects it may not be the best one, since new articles will push down articles which may be essential for new readers.

Funny, by the way, re the quote below, I was just talking to a friend about how people are sooooo conservative in the designs they will accept. Just take car colors. There are maybe five colors which make up 99% of all used on cars.

"Probably the thing that irks me the most [in car design] is when I see this repetition of the known, because it shows people have comfort zones that are too tight to themselves and they’re really afraid to walk out of those. And then somebody comes up with a new idea, and then everybody follows that because their comfort zone has been expanded. The work that we’ve done in the last ten years has been about expanding those comfort zones."
– Chris Bangle, BMW

Or a different example: I have a uniquely-designed drawing table I got made by a furniture maker. I has curved end-edges and many inlaid kinds of wood. The same guy made an early design with inlaid wood, a coffee table which look like it had a big zipper in it, partly open. He told me that everybody loved that table, but it took four years before anybody actually ordered one!

3 comments:

Bert said...

I'm definitely interested to find out more, but there's a problem with the link you supplied: I end up logged as administrator of the site?!

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

No kidding?
Sounds bizarre, it's a totally straightforward link:
http://www.objectifiedfilm.com/

Bert said...

Link is working again, guess it was just a server crash. Thanks for pointing this out!