Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Nina Hagen: Auf'm Rummel

Update: I decided to make it myself:



Update: She was born in 1955. I can't believe she was barely twenty when she did her groundbreaking work in the seventies. Isn't it amazing how in music, very young people can be very mature artists?
Update: examples: Sirena Huang and Jennifer Lin.

Nina Hagen: Auf'm Rummel

Appears on the album Unbehagen (1979).

wir standen auf'm rummel in treptow
tranken auf die schnelle mal 'n kuehles bier
eigentlich wollt ich laengst nach hause
da sagte einer, ich bin 'n kavalier
leute, ich gebe 'n korn aus

und wir tranken das bier und den korn aus
fuhren noch mal schnell mit der gespensterbahn
eigentlich wollt ich laengst nach hause
da sagte einer: die minelli is hier
hey lasst uns sehn ob es wahr ist

aber nichts hat gestimmt, denn da stand nur
nina hagen, da is nix dabei
eigentilich wollt ich laengst nach hause
da sagte einer: vorne spielt 'ne band
hey lasst und sehn und mal gehn

geh ick nu oder blieb ick nu
irgendwie muss man was tun
geh ick nu oder blieb ick nu
oder wer weess wat
what i can do

die band brachte grad nen jethro tull hit
die spielten so mies, mann, da stimmte kein ton
eigentlich wollt ich laengst nach hause
da sagte einer: ich gebe
bei mir im garten eine fete

und wir fuhren mit der s-bahn nach dahlem
wir sassen dann rum und wir hoerten musik
eigentlich wollt ich laengst nach hauses
da sangte einer: hier is nix los, eij,
hier is absolut nix los

---
Suddenly I love this song which I've known for thirty years. Here's the text.
I'm not sure it's correct, I thought "I" in German was "ich", not "ick".
AB informs: "ick" is Berlinisch

Through The Lens points to Nina singing a Shiva song.
Personally I'm hesitant about mixing my beliefs with my art, it's really too different things and your belief are not relevant to your audience.

---
We're standing around the carnival in Treptow
Drinking a quick cool beer
Lemme buy you all a shot of Schnapps.

And we finish off the beer and the Schnapps
Take one more fast ride in the chamber of horrors.
Actually I wanted to head home long ago
When somebody says: Minelli's here
Hey, let's see if it's for real.

But it was all a bum steer,
Only Nina Hagen, nothin' happenin'
Actually I wanted to head home long ago
When somebody says: a band's playing up front,
Hey, let's go over and give a listen.

Like I should go, or should I stay
I mean, you gotta do somethin'
Should I go, or should I stay
Or who knows what
What I can do.

The band was just doing a Jethro Tull hit
They played so rotten, man, not one sound was right
Actually I wanted to head home long ago
When somebody says, c'mon over to my place,
I'm throwing a garden fete.

And we take the s-bahn out to Dahlem,
Sit around listening to music.
Actually I wanted to head home long ago
When somebody says: ain't nothin' happenin' here, nah,
Ain't absolutely nothin' happenin' here.

6 comments:

Alex said...

Was she 99 Luftballon, or was she "A Little Bit of Love" Eurovision gal?

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

I'm sure she was neither, Nina was always pure punk and counter-culture. No pop hits.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

http://eolake.blogspot.com/2008/04/nina-hagen.html

Anonymous said...

99 Luftballons was by Nena (different spelling).

a.b. said...

"ick" is Berlinisch

Timo Lehtinen said...

Ah, Nina Hagen, the queen on spiritual punk.

Here's He Shiva Shankara (YouTube).