Monday, November 10, 2008

Neil Gaiman interview

Neil Gaiman interview.
Neil is amazing. I still kick myself for missing the first several issues of Sandman (since I didn't like the artist) when Neil "exploded onto the scene" (see that's one of those journalistic phrases I'm trying to avoid) in the late eighties. And since then he's had more artistic "home runs" (another one), and more varied ones, than any other writer I can think off right now.

Oooh, he's got a new book out! "The Graveyard Book". And it's already on audiobook, even better!
One of the great things about Neil is that he can be totally politically incorrect (like write a "childrens' book" about a serial killer), and yet he is so relaxed and disarming that he's never attacked about it, that I have heard.

Below is a brief clip I found, Neil saying why he supports the Comic Book Legal Defence Fund (which helps defend comic book artists or dealers attacked on their freedom of speech.


I couldn't agree more, freedom of speech is one of the most essential rights, perhaps even the most essential right. All human progress is carried forward by communication. (And I've just donated $500 to CBLDF.)

1 comment:

Kent McManigal said...

Everyone has the basic, absolute human right to speak freely. Yet some governments choose to violate that right. Even in America, the government routinely violates the right to free speech (often claiming that rights are not "absolute" and must be subject to "reasonable restrictions"- which is nonsense) and "the people" let them get away with it. Ironically, the solution is to speak out about the abuses and point out the absurdity of the government's claims.