Thursday, October 16, 2008

D90 test

I finally got my Nikon D90, been delayed for three weeks.
The camera feels good, and image quality seems really nice, both from the camera and the 18-105 VR zoom lens. Below is a test shot from the middle of the zoom range. (Of course sunshine pictures tend to look sharp.) And here is a zip file (9MB) of the full, un-edited files from short, middle, and long range, straight from the camera.


At 3200 ISO it has grain, but it's finer grain and more pleasant than what my Canon 5D has at 1600 ISO, and until now that camera has been king. (Amongst those I owned.) And the 5D is a full-frame camera, meaning the D90 uses smaller and cheaper lenses.

2 comments:

emptyspaces said...

I was lucky enough to have one of these to test out, though only for a day. As a Canon shooter, I found the controls well thought out, and the few images I snapped were excellent. The 18-105 VR lens focused a little slow for my taste, but I didn't see anything bad in the pictures.

I admit, I spent most of my time playing with the video shooting. It's fun to play with pulling focus and depth of field in the video mode (I longed for a 50mm f/1.4, though). However, video shooting is a crapshoot because of a lack of autofocus, no mic jack, and the inability to lock exposure while shooting. An odd flickering comes into play in changing light conditions. But convert those vids to B&W, and they look "cool." In the right hands with some careful planning, the video would look a lot better than it did in my fumbly fingers. But it'll be hard for most people to get anything great out of the video.

Alex said...

To think they can't even spell hatchback in California. The Mini looks big next to the Pugs (102 & 205 by the looks), and is that a Nissan Micra, or something smaller?