Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Koinkidink


Funny coincidence: I just found this picture of the toy camera in use.
It's kindly lend me by Thorsten Overgaard, Danish Leica fan, photographer (top rank judging by the celeb portraits on his site), and writer.
Here he writes about the girl with the camera, about Roger Moore, and the experience of photographing a Danish Royal wedding.
"... whenever there’s 75 still photographers and 50 television cameras in one place to shoot the same event, it might involve a lot of interest and money. But the type of stories and events that I usually like to do is the positive stories out in the outskirts, not necessarily exclusives in the exclusive way that you have to know the presidents dog personally, but just exclusive in the way that no one thought of it as a great pictures or a great story before you did."


Thorsten himself writes in a comment under the article: "It's nuts, the interest in royals. Did another shoot the other day, and instantly a handful of pictures was sold. Nothing special, just royals in them."

Indeed. We are very interested in Royals, because they are special. Why are they special? Because we are interested in them.
I feel I should be above it, but I'm not, not 100%. I think if I met a Danish prince, I'd probably be a little bit awed. And it's dumb. There's probably several things I do better than either of them, but just because such a great number of people think they're special, I get that feeling too.
Some people get above such feelings, but most of them do it by becoming contrarian, and that's not a lot better, methinks.

3 comments:

Johnnie Walker said...

Some people seem to actually hate royalty, which is strange to me. I'm kind of indifferent. Sure, they're leeches. They don't contribute to society. But there's no sense in worrying about something you have no power to change, and besides - if I'd lucked out and been born into the royal family I wouldn't want anyone fucking with that.


...I don't know about that dude's white gloves, though. Makes him look a bit like a snooker judge.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Oh, I dunno, I think at least the Danish royals do a pretty good job. Contributing more than your basic socialite.

TC [Girl] said...

Eo...what the heck is "peanut paste?" lol! Is that like "our" peanut "BUTTER," over here, or is it some sort of Danish "delicacy" that I don't know about?