Tuesday, September 23, 2008

40mm lens, and Sally Mann

Sally Mann doesn't f***k about when using cameras, lookkit this. Man.


I got the picture from this article, where Mike Johnston talks about how Sally got him interested in the 40mm lens as standard lens. The fact that she has an opinion about something like that also speaks for her awareness as a photographer. Women can be excellent photographers, but they are often quite disinterested in the tech aspects of it.
I love Sally's work from the nineties, her use of tones and compositions are marvelous.

I've bought this documentary about her, but I've not had the chance to watch it yet. But the DVD contains the old mid-nineties documentary about her which I watched back then, and which was really good.

4 comments:

waverly said...

"Women can be excellent photographers but often quite disinterested in the tech aspects."

..... seriously? Try not to make blatantly sexist statements because they negate whatever slightly interesting comments about photography that you might have.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Let's not go overboard and take *all* statements as sexist. For example, more men are interested in sports or cars, that's just how it is.

Dan Solomon Wheeler said...

I agree, I think most women aren't too bothered with the tech aspects of photography. It's just the way the ball rolls. Women tend to have the natural eye for a good photograph. Whereas men will seek out a way in which to make a technically good photograph

Shannon Jenkins said...

I fall into the stereotype myself. I actually find myself rolling my eyes at lots of tech talk, because high-tech gear will never replace skill and a good eye. I try to be more tech savvy, but I don't have much patience for it, but I feel Sally Mann is the same. In that article she argues that she found what "feels right" and has stuck with it. Just because she can articulate why she specifically uses what she uses doesn't make her a gear head (I'm sorry, are you sensing my disdain for the techies). She's a talented ass photographer. Period.