Monday, August 18, 2008

The West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band


25 years ago, I visited a friend, and she gave me two records that a friend of hers had bought in the US in the early seventies. She thought they were both weird and probably similar. It turned out one of them was weird and crap, and the other was weird and wonderful.

These days it seems that The West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band is rescued somewhat from obscurity, by what unlikely means I don't know.

Here's one of my favorites, Delicate Fawn, only found in this version. Here's Queen Nymphet. They also had some very acid songs, but sadly I can't find any of those on Utoob.

It strikes me that in the early eighties, the early seventies seemed about as far away as they do now. Am I alone in this?

It also strikes that Queen Nymphet is one of the very common type amongst pop/love songs, the DOM fantasy: a pretty young woman throws herself at you, but nobly you tell her she's too young. Same theme in Pale Rider, and many other stories.

1 comment:

Pascal [P-04referent] said...

"It strikes me that in the early eighties, the early seventies seemed about as far away as they do now. Am I alone in this?

I couldn't tell. I was stranded on another planet, another world.
And to think it's only a bus stop away...