Wednesday, August 27, 2008

D90 video

Testing the Nikon D90.

Update: this has the same video, but includes text.
It looks like a home run for Nikon.
(Dang, they even have me using sports metaphors now, and I've never even seen a single baseball game.)

Update: as usual, Imaging-Resource has one of the best articles about the Nikon D90.
(Dang, it's not, as I'd guessed from pictures, smaller than the D80. Ah well, still a very competent camera for the size. Image quality should be the same as the much bigger D300.)

Update: first test shots. ISO 3200 default setting, medium noise reduction in camera. More.

... I downloaded the 3200 shot with no in-camera noise reduction applied, and then I used Noise Ninja on it. The result is a lot better than the default camera result. (Copyright for the picture: imaging-resource.com.)
Update: to my surprise even the 6400-ISO pictures, when run through Noise Ninja, are very usable. Very impressive.

5 comments:

Alex said...

Blah blah blah blah, I can't hear you, blah blah blah.

(Picture me with fingers in my ears and my eyes closed).

D80 performing very well.

Anonymous said...

Great camera, I'm sure, but what an irritating video (by Chase Jarvis).

Interesting to see if DSLRs and DigiCams converge. With 720p the D90 is no match to the Red Scarlett (which interestingly is advertised as having a "still mode"), but it looks like at some point in the future a single camera will do for both applications.

I'm gonna hold on to my D80 for a long time to come.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Yes, there's no compelling reason to upgrade.

I agree, the constant music in the video was irritating, I don't know why people do that.

Anonymous said...

yep, always a good idea to handle the noise youself, nice work.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

I'm just amazed I've never heard of this before. Everybody is pushing RAW, but the difference there is imperceptible compared to this.