Sunday, August 10, 2008

Coraline

Neil Gaiman's superbly creepy children's book Coraline is coming next year as a movie. Apparently in 3D, filmed with two cameras in stop-motion. I wonder if it will be a red/green glasses deal, which I don't find all that great.
The trailer looks like CG. I can't see how they would make those thin mechanical hands in reality. I could be wrong, maybe I'm just too used to seeing things as CG.

I wasn't a big fan of Nightmare Before Christmas or Corpse Bride, but I think that was because they were musicals. Puppets standing around singing? Seems like a mistake to me.

Apropos 3D, TTL mentioned Avatar, an upcoming James Cameron movie.
"In December 2006, Cameron explained that the delay in producing the film since the 1990s had been to wait until the technology necessary to create his project was advanced enough. The director planned to create photo-realistic computer-generated characters by using motion capture animation technology, on which he had been doing work for the past 14 months. Unlike previous performance capture systems, where the digital environment is added after the actors' motions have been captured, Cameron's new virtual camera allows him to directly observe on a monitor how the actors' virtual counterparts interacts with the movie's digital world in real time and adjust and direct the scenes just as if shooting live action..."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

3D is big nowadays. James Cameron says his Avatar is a bigger production than Titanic was.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Huh!

I wonder how it will go. One would think 3D would be the obvious "next step" for either still pics or movies, but it has been taken up and faded away many times in the past century.

Alex said...

I can quite understand why 3-d isn't taking off. Not everyone sees the same, my wife cannot look at any form of 3-d (red/green, viewmaster, opposing polarizers) without feeling sick.

Personnally I don't mind looking at 3-d for a few minutes, but the lorgnettes or 3-d goggles all feel so uncomfortable around my specs. I can't imagine a couple of hours of a movie.

I did see a few minutes of Honey I Shrunk the Audience, that was very good, but my son got freaked out by it, so we had to leave. Mind you the did hove other FX tricks going on at the same time.