Thursday, August 21, 2008

Computer art?

Can somebody tell if these are painted (based on photos though, obviously), or done in computer?

If the latter I wonder what software they are done on. There was a quite wonderful app named PhotoArtMaster, which sadly is gone now, and also never worked well on my Mac (it was java and abysmally slow). But I'd love to find some good software for making art from photos.


Update: OK, found the artist. It seems they are actually hand painted.
Very skilled and very pretty. Though a bit, uh, fluffy. No doubt selling like hotcakes.

Update: examples of what PhotoArtMaster could do. It's briliant. It's done with software from a photo, but looks less like a photo than those above.



I have lost contact with Don McCrae who made this picture (and the software). So I googled him, and found out he is in LinkedIn. Reluctantly I joined so I could contact him. And I find out that to use the LinkedIn email system I have to upgrade to a paid membership for a minimum of $20 per month! F***ing bullshit. What good is a social/business networking site if you can't use it to contact people?

Kabel Yaache said:
LinkedIn is a great system, and if it's 'bullshit' that you can't get it free, then that becomes the filter to keep non-serious users and players out. Like the $15,0000 fees required by some country-clubs - if you want access, you can afford it. If you have to ask 'how much', then you are permitted to stay the hell out and play golf in your back yard - and talk to your dumb neighbour instead of business professionals.
Burmashave.

No no, paid services are fine, of course. What's BS is that they invite you to join for free, and then you find out that the service is hobbled to below usefulness. They should tell you up front what you get and what you don't.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for searching Eolake. I was very impressed by Steve Hanks work and even more so now that I realise that it is true art! A legend in his time... I now want to buy his book. At $85 it is a 'steal'!

Johnnie Walker said...

Might as well just have a copy of the photo.

Anonymous said...

LinkedIn is a great system, and if it's 'bullshit' that you can't get it free, then that becomes the filter to keep non-serious users and players out. Like the $15,0000 fees required by some country-clubs - if you want access, you can afford it. If you have to ask 'how much', then you are permitted to stay the hell out and play golf in your back yard - and talk to your dumb neighbour instead of business professionals.
Burmashave.

Anonymous said...

I have the Buzz.X filters that formed that basis of PhotoArtMaster. They continue to work with Photoshop CS3 on my G5 based Mac. I think that they would need more work than PhotoArtMaster to achieve the same result, but it is certainly possible to get something like the picture you show from a photograph. fo2pix went out of business. Don McCrae now runs an art business and advertises his address on this web page: http://www.onemodelplace.com/member.cfm?P_ID=177640

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

KY, no no, paid services are fine, of course. What's BS is that they invite you to join for free, and then you find out that the service is hobbled to below usefulness. They should tell you up front what you get and what you don't.

Anonymous said...

Eolake - I wonder now if the Linked IN system is somehow limited in the UK - I have over 6000 contacts and can make contact with any of them fairly easily. I agree - charging for simple contact isn't right, but I guess someone has to make money on something... Pretty soon they'll be charging us just to talk one another in public. :-)

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

And you only have the free membership?

I dunno... I could only find one way to contact Don through them, they call it "inMail" and make the ridiculous claim that it's *thirty* times more effective in getting a response than an email.
When I click on that, I get:
"Contact Don McCrae directly through InMail™ - To send an InMail now, upgrade your account."

Alex said...

LinkedIn is working fine for me. I'm on the "employee" end of the equation, so I can float a "resume". It even has testimonials right there. I've had some pretty good hits from it.

It's worked well as a social networking tool, like Friends Re-united. LinkedIn allows you to get what you need for re-unions. In fact LinkedIn allows co-worker connections free. I've found people from my past out there no problem. I guess it's the blind introductions that need the extra services.

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure that Corel Painter allows you to make photos look like paintings, with a number of effects to chose from.