Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Eye strain

Sometimes in the evening after using the computer a lot, very suddenly by eyes will burn and itch and water. I quickly have go close my eyes for a while, preferably in a darkened room. It does not happen often, but it's irritating when it does. So I searched for the problem, and found this.

What I find immediately applicable for myself is
1) turn down the screen brightness a bit.
2) blink a lot more than I have tended to. I tend to stare when I am concentrating.

Probably it's also a good idea to not use the computer more than an hour straight.

These days I like to get any book I can on audio. It's great to be able to Read lying down with closed eyes in dull light or darkness. It's also good when I'm about to go to sleep. I can stop reading just by clicking a button, I don't have to put down a book, take off my glasses, remove a reading pillow, turn off the light...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is not, as commonly believed, the screen itself that is bad for the eyes, but rather the fact that the eyes STARE constantly at the screen with little movements or focus changes. Time flies when you're at the computer and you don't notice it. It had devided a simple and agreable way of "distracting" myself when at the computer: the walls of my office were covererd with pinup calendars. So on a regular basis I'd let my eyes wander around for a few seconds. And I've never suffered from sore eyes at the monitor.