Thursday, June 26, 2008

Full frame Nikon


The evidence is piling up: a new, smaller and cheaper than the D3 (but neither small nor cheap overall) Nikon full frame camera is coming (or at least being announced) next week, called, oddly, the D700. (There is very little rhyme or reason in the naming schemes of most technology manufacturers. At Nikon, the high end cameras have 1 digit, the low end has two digits, and the mid range has three digits.)

Seems it will have pretty much the D300's body (a very solid and fast one), but with the sensor of the D3 (lauded for its exceptional low-light capabilities).

I've no doubt it'll be a huge hit, even though it'll probably be priced at something like $3,000.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

There's still nothing like a Nikon F with a 105mm f2.5 - with a skilled eye behind the viewfinder.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

A Nikon F!? How old are you?

(I bought an F last year and have it right on my desk for prettiness purposes.)

Bert said...

There he goes again! About to place us all in the fossil category... ;-)

Btw, I agree with Mr Photographer. I just don't miss the darkroom. At all.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

For my money, digital is better in all counts, except when the highlights burn out. I hope they solve that too, soon.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Fossils, I don't know, but they stopped making Nikon F shortly after the first moon landing...

Bert said...

"...they stopped making Nikon F shortly after the first moon landing..."

Hey, I remember watching the live broadcast of that landing...

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Me too, one of my earliest memories from this lifetime.