Thursday, June 05, 2008

Broadband woes and wins

I've never been very happy with either of my broadband connections, not even the "XL" cable connection which I'm paying more for. Now yesterday, oddly, I got a bill which showed I was being billed both for an XL connection and a Medium connection. So I spoke at length to a guy in the billing department, and he was very puzzled too. No clue how that happened.

But a lot of good came from it: it seems that since I still use a set-top box and never got the more advanced modem, I can actually only receive a 2Mb connection, not the 10Mb connection I have been paying for in the past two years!

So he refunded me 300 pounds ($600) for all those overpayments. And next week I get a proper cable modem and my bandwidth should rise not only to 10Mb, but to 20Mb for some reason. I'm much looking forward to that.

And to cap it off, just out of the goodness of his heart apparently, he gave me an 8-pounds discount per month in the future!

See that's the kind of support call I like.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Considering the current focus in the UK media about broadband, advertised vs. actual speed etc. I think your recent discovery that you overpaid for 2 years would not appear as good publicity for your provider. 8 UKP off is the least they could do to get you back on their side.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Bully for me.

Unknown said...

Here in France I've been enjoying a 20Mbps connection for three years now (30€/month). The problem is, websites just cannot keep pace. They used to, three years ago. Now the only way I can saturate my bandwidth is using the apple update or lauching at least a dozen simultaneous transfers.