Friday, June 20, 2008

"All Marketers are Liars" - Seth Godin speaks at Google

"All Marketers are Liars" - Seth Godin speaks at Google.

It's a good speech, but the video presentation is almost worthy of Seth's own "this is broken" label. Somebody decided to put subtitles on the video. I am all for that, except I can't turn them off, and they are distracting. And Seth speaks really clearly. To make it worse, they are messed up. Special characters are replaced with a little diamond, making them more distracting and harder to read.
Further, when something is actually hard to hear, like a faint question from the crowd... there are no subtitles! And further yet, there are several mistakes. For example, one man says "and be ebay'ed", and it's transcribed as "and be delayed". And Seths says "I'm a big fan", and it's transcribed as "have a big brand", whatever that means.

Seth and Google are the biggest names in their respective field, and since this supposedly was produced by Google and they supposedly paid a lot for Seth, you'd think they would take care to do it properly.

2 comments:

Seth Godin said...

I agree! But they didn't ask me.

Pascal [P-04referent] said...

"My brand is bigger than yours!"

A good global summary of the topic, I think. ;-)