Sunday, May 04, 2008

Iggy Pop interview

Iggy Pop interview.
I love it when he says his art is "Dionysiac". People expect a wild, braindead rocknroller, and he talks like a professor.
This was from the eighties, and it's funny how he no longer looks like the young Iggy, but not yet looks like the middle-aged, furrowed Iggy he became within a few years. He does not look like Iggy at all, in fact.
Here's an early one. He is not making it easy for the interviewer.
I guess he does not like that everybody asks him about bleeding and vomiting on stage, but the question is how much media coverage he would have without it. I like his stuff a lot, but I think that without the records where he was assisted in composing by David Bowie (Lust For Life, The Idiot, and Blah Blah Blah), he would not have much of any great compositions out there.

Update:
Joe Dick ventured:
I think some of the stuff he says is just having fun with the interviewer and can't always be taken seriously.

I'm sure you're right. Rock musicians are notorious for doing that, and worse. For instance Al Jourgenson said once that "The Mind Is A Dangerous Thing To Taste" was recorded in one day. And another time he said it took a year's worth of slavery in the studio. Having fun I can understand, but why would you lie to people who trust you and like you?
He also said once, being interviewed before a concert, that he was wearing diapers, and was pissing himself as he spoke. Diapers? Under the skin-tight jeans musicians always wear? And taking up the amount of pee a beer-guzzling guy is bound to produce? Yeah, right. But the female journalist seemed to take him on his word.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Iggy's one of my favorite artists. I absolutely love his work with The Stooges, easily one of my top five favorite bands. I also like Brick by Brick, American Caesar, and Skull Ring, but not as much as the ones you mentioned. Iggy's speaking some major truth at the end of that second interview about why rock n roll's getting old. Thanks for sharing.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Yeah, Brick by Brick, American Ceasar, and Instinct had some good songs on them.

I wrote to the address he gave on AC, and he answered me, handwritten.

Anonymous said...

Really? How long ago was that?

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Mmmmm... mid-nineties.
He invited people to write.

I think I tried the address later, without answer.

Anonymous said...

Watch some other interviews of his on YouTube. He is a cool guy, but dumb. He can fool a guy like you by throwing around a word or two like that, but he doesn't fool very many others.

Anonymous said...

I disagree. I think he makes some good points in his interviews, especially where music's concerned.

Anonymous said...

I think some of the stuff he says is just having fun with the interviewer and can't always be taken seriously.

Anonymous said...

Diapers? Well, you know, as gross as this will sound (and I don't know if it's really true) people say that some people going to the Superbowl wear them because the lines at the bathrooms are so long. I think I'd rather just stay home and watch it on TV. If I watched football.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

I strongly suspect that diapers are good for incontinence, but not for actually relieving yourself, they simply can't hold that much liquid.

Anonymous said...

Not even these ones?

http://www.drinkalot.com/Videos/564/Oops_I_crapped_my_pants.htm