Monday, May 26, 2008

Exotic animals


A white tiger, photographed under water? Say what you want, but this is not a picture anybody could take.
(Photo by Jeff Rayner.)

That's in contrast to one of the last pictures I saw when I was frequenting the local photo club in these parts the year before last. I'd been coming a couple of months, and I'd grown a bit tired of the unventilated presentation room and the general lack of any talk about actual photography amongst the members.

And then they had a judge for the monthly contest who claimed that the title of a picture should be an explanation of that picture, a dead stupid idea. In the end he awarded the first price to a breathtakingly boring picture of a monkey. Sure, the monkey was sitting in the open in India, so maybe it could be regarded as exotic, but monkeys are as common as dogs there, and seriously, the picture could not have been more banal. I got so bored my head hurt, so I stopped going.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

What did they talk about, if not photography?

Anonymous said...

Monkeys are really a nuisance, seriously, for urban Indians 'cause they create a mess there seriously. We had a very funny experience there with them, lol.

Anonymous said...

I went to his site, but it doesn't identify the tiger. Instead the caption reads "Tiger Shark". Huh?

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

That's supposedly a pun.

Joe, what did they talk about... just the mundane things people talk about in a coffee club.

Monsieur Beep! said...

Will I ever get used to Joey's transformation? His journey backwards in time?

I like both characters of his very much. Voices and faces fit perfectly.

:-)))

(Whereas an old ape shall only become a young monkey ;-)

..........end of off-topic section

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Well, if Indiana Jones and Obi-Wan could do it, why not Joe.

Alex said...

Hmm, I think Dave Bowman would be a more appropriate example of rejuvenation.

I agree, I like Joe's new face.

Monsieur Beep! said...

Ok, Joe, how much,... and where?
Dammit, or do you think being the monkey is always a joy.

I want a facelift.

Anonymous said...

I think it must be the cigarette. I've heard smoking makes you look better.

Anonymous said...

It sure makes you look cooler. As for my secret, if I shared it there'd be more competition for the ladies, so sorry folks! Really, I am. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Speaking of smoking...

http://www.explosm.net/db/files/Comics/Rob/smoking.png