Tuesday, January 29, 2008

A super-budget image stabilizer


A super-budget image stabilizer.
Basically you tie a string from your camera's tripod thread to a bit you hold to the ground under your foot.
I haven't tried this in practice yet, but it seem ingenious, and I'm surprised I've never heard of the idea before.

Mike Johnston said:
...I'm surprised you haven't either...one of those ideas that's been around forever. Sort of works. Sort of doesn't. I generally prefer to just try to brace myself against something.

When I was a teen I read all the books the library had about photography, and I've read thousands of photo mags since, and I'm pretty sure I've never read about this idea. Luck of the draw, I guess.

If it worked really great, it would be used by everybody, I suppose. I'll just have to try it.
I'll hazard that the exact length of the string is important, both for stability and for the health of your neck. (Something that's on my mind for some reason.)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I'm surprised I've never heard of the idea before"

There's no money to be made from this! ;-)

In the same line of thought, here's a link to a 14$ Steadycam, for the video enthusiasts.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

I dunno, if I saw something like this in the store for a few bucks, it would be worthwhile it for me to buy it rather than spend the time to go to the hardware store.

Anonymous said...

Start a business selling them? :-)

Anonymous said...

My father wanted to patent and market a product based on this idea, which he called a Flexipod. There should still be some in the garage.