Wednesday, December 19, 2007

D3 samples

Nikon D3 image samples.

Parotting my dad: I've told you before, and I'm telling you again with tears in my eyes: this is a revolutionary camera for low-light photography, and I can't wait until we get this kind of performance in a camera which is not so dang big and heavy. And I think both Nikon and Canon may come up with something like that before long.
ISO 3200 pictures look fantastic, and even ISO 12800 is very usable in my view. This is something entirely new.

Update: the official D3 pages.
I love the term the "proprietary FX format". It is like by shaving one tenth of a milimeter of the 80-year old 35mm format, they suddenly have created their own brand new format, which is revolutionary, and we forget that Canon has had full frame cameras for four years already! Very funny.

5 comments:

JohnO said...

Those are amazing.

One of my cameras at iso800 does worse then then the D3 at iso12800

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

I know!
Even the D2x, a brilliant camera when it arrived, has more noise at 800 than the D3 has at... 6400, I think.

Monsieur Beep! said...

I just wondered: why is it no longer called grain, but noise? I don't mind, see. Just wondering.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

On a film, it *was* actually grain, small collections of pigment particles. In electronic images, it is noise. The noise comes from too much analogue boosting of the signal from the capture chip.

Pascal [P-04referent] said...

Yeah, I hear you. :-D