Sunday, November 25, 2007

USA

It's amazing such a dominance the USA still has on the Internet. I would have thought that by 2007, two thirds of the web would be outside the US. That may be so, but not for me, not commercially. Almost three quarters of my sales are to the US, and I could really feel on stats that this was Thanksgiving week.

Perhaps it's a language thing. Me, I'm used to doing everything in English, but perhaps a big bulk of web users in most countries will only surf a smaller subsection of web sites in their own language? And yet I have a feeling that if I made a whole site for each of the major languages, it would not change much.

Alex said:
I can almost take it for granted that my US friends have a PC and DSL or Cable modem.
Most of my UK friends, of equivalent social status, may have a PC, and all seem to be dial-up. Even my sister who is a software professional has dial-up, there again, she lives in the comparative sticks/boonies.
So it would seem to be a connectivity issue as much as anything.

Hmm, although it is clear that the US is much ahead in broadband (as Europe is with cell phones), I was not under the impression that the UK was that much behind.
... Thinking about it, I actually have a couple of friends in the US who have mentioned that they don't have broadband available where they live.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Almost three quarters of my sales are to the US, and I could really feel on stats that this was Thanksgiving week.

Perhaps it's a language thing."

Not a chance, Eolake! Most Americans couldn't spell s*** if they
had a mouthful. It's got to be something else...

kronostar said...

Just as a side note and as a member of your site I'm not American, but I have an american credit card with an american address just to make online transactions easier. Due to american dominance on the web and payment processors it's just easier for me to use that with my digital transactions.
That and they don't like countries that only have PO boxes with no zip codes.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

I occasionally need an American friend's credit card, but only on iTunes for videos. I have Danish and UK credit cards, and they work fine on almost all sites. Of course all countries are not created equal in the eyes of credit card companies.

Anonymous said...

Eolake, my impression is that it's a combination of (1) language barrier, (2) issues with methods of payment, and (3) culture.

"... perhaps a big bulk of web users in most countries will only surf a smaller subsection of web sites in their own language?"

People do surf foreign language sites alright but buying is a different matter. I myself occasionally surf Japanese web sites but I would not buy from them since I can not read the instructions/terms. Nor could I communicate with them in case I needed help afterwards.

People say you can get good sales from, say, Germany if you fine tune a web site specifically for that market. I do not know if it's true or not.

Anonymous said...

Here's a URL for a company that
some European residents use for handling their on-line commerce for
them is the USA... I discovered it while purchasing a software program.

http://www.kagi.com/index.php

You can find it HERE.

Anonymous said...

Not a chance, Eolake! Most Americans couldn't spell s*** if they
had a mouthful. It's got to be something else...

Ray, I take offense at that. Americans in general (not to brag) have more money and opportunity than those in Europe. (Again, I stress we are not better but we are at an advantage because we are the sole powerpower and blessed with opportunity that many foriegn countries can only dream of.)
I'm glad I was born in the USA. Though we've had our share of mistakes we are still the greatest land in the world for success and making dreams come true.)
Sorry about the Bush (war criminal selected prez) I had nothing to do with that thug being placed in office.

Alex said...

I can almost take it for granted that my US friends have a PC and DSL or Cable modem.

Most of my UK friends, of equivalent social status, may have a PC, and all seem to be dial-up. Even my sister who is a software professional has dial-up, there again, she lives in the comparative sticks/boonies.

So it would seem to be a connectivity issue as much as anything.

I also tried using a UK debit card to buy some computer hardware online a couple of weeks back - the card was rejected based on card type!

Anonymous said...

USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!

Anonymous said...

Joe Dick said...
USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!

:)

Anonymous said...

Thank you, loyal fans. Now watch me pile-drive this foreign-born "heel" into the judges' table.
AND THE CROWD GOES WILD!