Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Superman, Morrison/Quitely


Superman, Morrison/Quitely.
The best Superman comic book ever? That would indeed be something of a statement, after all Superman has been handled by scores of excellent writers and artists over his 70-year career so far. But I would rank it right up there. And not only is it excellent, it also accomplishes what I had given up hope of: a fresh take on Superman. And it's even really well written and superbly drawn, funny, and surprising.

And yet the best Morrison/Quitely collaboration might be the old Flex Mentallo mini series. Out of print, I think, but bizarre, inventive, and seminal.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

who's the babe with him? yummy lol.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

That's Lois Lane, who gained some temporary superpowers.

Alex said...

That has to be the hottest looking Lois I've seen. The hottest sounding was Lorelei King in the R4 version. My, she had a good voice. She was also Officer Montoya in Batman too; laid on the blarney, and didn't sound as cute.

Oh wow, just Googled Dirk Maggs, did you know Kerry Shale, the voice in the great radio version of "Bill the Galactic Hero" got a turn as Batman (aka Jean Paul Valley) in Batman Knightfall.

I miss my radio...

This type of art, very strong colours, ain't really where I go for comic books. I prefer the darker colours of Raymond Briggs or the lush style of Shirow Masamune