Thursday, July 05, 2007

Independence

Somehow I missed Independence Day.
But that's part of my personal independence: the freedom to miss public events which are important to many people, but not to me. (OK, admittedly not being American or in the US is part of why I don't even have to hear about it. But not following the news is another.)

A friend commented recently on how independence is important to me. And I admitted so. But it's funny: it is so important to me that I have rarely even thought about it. It's like water to a fish, in other words.

It's so important to me that I would not give up a tiny fraction of it for all the wealth or all the love in the world.

I honestly don't know to what degree this is bad or good, it's just how I am.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Are you as independent as this Malawian teenager? He built a wind power system for his house from a handmade tower and his bicycle sitting on top. As others heard of his work, they and his family members chipped in to improve his system. He now provides lighting for his parents' home, and battery charging for his neighbors. (His blog is worth a look!)