Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Peter Steele


"I think for the most part it really doesn't matter how good an album is; I think it really comes down to musical climate. I'm sure if Sgt. Pepper or Highway to Hell or Stained Class or Paranoid came out today, it would not even chart, simply because people like this "Rap and Roll" shit, which I hate. It's bad poetry executed by people that can't sing. That's my definition of Rap."
- Peter Steele, Type O Negative

The above is from an interview conducted by my gal pal Gail Worley. (Who interviewed me once.)

BTW, here is another opinion on rap by the very funny Dylan Moran. I watched this whole show ("Monster") yesterday, and I was in stitches.

Michael Burton urges:
"When I was young and listening to the Beatles or Jimi Hendrix or something, the old folks would sometimes say, "I don't know how you can listen to that stuff. It's not music, it's just noise!" Now I'm old, and when I hear young people listening to rap, I think, "I don't know how you can listen to that stuff. It's not music, it's just noise!"

Personally, I don't get it. But I don't think you can revolutionize popular culture with "bad poetry executed by people that can't sing."

When I was young and old people dismissed my music, I just wished they would just listen to it -- then they'd understand that it was more than "noise." Now I'm old. I don't really want to listen enough to give rap a chance to change my mind -- Sturgeon's Law applies to music, too. But I can't dismiss the whole genre simply because I have a closed mind.

I still feel free to recommend other other types of music, or to complain about songs that glorify violence or denigrate people or about music played too loud or too late at night. But for the most part, I say, "You're young! Have fun! Enjoy your life, and don't worry what the old folks think!"

Good points. I notice that when rap is on a boom box amongst teenagers hanging out it makes more sense.
Also I know some lovely rap songs, but funny enough they are all by non-rap bands. Blondie's "Rapture" for example.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Art is communication, and in communication context matters just like the text. Some communication is more dependent on context, some less so.

I am quite sure Sibelius' 5th would work just the same if it was published today. One explanation is that in large works such as symphonies, everything you need to know in order to get the message is "included". In other words, the composition defines its vocabulary, and, in a way, its context, as it goes.

Also, some folk tunes seem to resonate very deep in our consciousness, and for all practical purposes are ageless. I guess in this case the context is our DNA, or something. Interestingly, even some newly crafted folk style melodies seem to have this deep, ageless quality.

Anonymous said...

Eolake: "The above is from an interview conducted by my gal pal Gail Worley. (Who interviewed me once.)"

On your page it says "Interviewed by Eric Johnson".

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Oops, it seems I linked to the wrong interview. Must correct.

Anonymous said...

It's bad poetry executed by people that can't sing. That's my definition of Rap."

agreed. i'm surprised this heathenistic shit hasn't gone away yet. spare me the black hatred and the bad-ass thugs and harmoney crap.

laurie said...

I like Rap. I like the beat. I think it's sexy. It's fun to dance to.

not that gangsta stuff though.
that's plain depressing.

laurie

Anonymous said...

When I was young and listening to the Beatles or Jimi Hendrix or something, the old folks would sometimes say, "I don't know how you can listen to that stuff. It's not music, it's just noise!" Now I'm old, and when I hear young people listening to rap, I think, "I don't know how you can listen to that stuff. It's not music, it's just noise!"

Personally, I don't get it. But I don't think you can revolutionize popular culture with "bad poetry executed by people that can't sing."

When I was young and old people dismissed my music, I just wished they would just listen to it -- then they'd understand that it was more than "noise." Now I'm old. I don't really want to listen enough to give rap a chance to change my mind -- Sturgeon's Law applies to music, too. But I can't dismiss the whole genre simply because I have a closed mind.

I still feel free to recommend other other types of music, or to complain about songs that glorify violence or denigrate people or about music played too loud or too late at night. But for the most part, I say, "You're young! Have fun! Enjoy your life, and don't worry what the old folks think!"

Cristina Rodguez said...

Peter Steele is a FASCINATING man...

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

I can only try to imagine how fascinating he must appear to girls or gays. He is a rocker, intellectual, great looking, and six foot six!

Anonymous said...

Just a few years ago, I didn't even consider rap to be actual music. I just found it too boring to even count. And to this day, I still haven't heard any rap that I like, but I'm in a place in my life where I can accept it as a legitimate art form. I'm not going to pretend I've heard all rap ever made.

That being said, you can't tell me the stuff they play on MTV and the radio and stuff is good, even if you like rap. By the same token, I hate most of the rock music played on MTV.

Anonymous said...

Now I'm old, and when I hear young people listening to rap, I think, "I don't know how you can listen to that stuff. It's not music, it's just noise!"

Funny, I reflected upon the very same subject not long ago. Except I immediately thought about what the previous generation(s) said, and realized an understanding attitude was mandatory to an open mind. As long as there's no music dangerously loud (causing hearing loss), and no apology of violence, I'm a "live and let live" guy.

And yet, this attitude is strongly put to the test in Lebanon. "Music played too loud or too late at night"? How about both at once, all summer long! All-night blaring fiestas by the dozen.
Fortunately, today I've moved to a quieter, less populated and more civilized place. But dang, these were a LONG 26 years, I'll tell you that!

Hey, they forgot myuzzak in that "You know you're a Lebanese when..." list.
Unforgivable! A crying shame! What about traditions, hunh?

Anonymous said...

TTL said...
"I guess in this case the context is our DNA, or something."


Correct. It has been established that the taste for some musical styles is genetically inherited. Just like people will sometimes perceive colors differently, and the perception of some smells and tastes will differ because of genetic factors determining our chemoreceptors (hence the saying, "there's no accounting...").

Eolake said...
"I can only try to imagine how fascinating he must appear to girls or gays."


Mister, you must have a LOT of imagination! ;-)

Anonymous said...

LOL! Pascal, thats why Eolake's successful. I love rap. I even love some of the rock musics.
however, i am more into RnB and Pop music. I also like some of the classical songs. Most of the songs played by a guitar or piano seems to be nice with me. however, i listen to music with fresh ears and like the ones which pleases me. I can get what they say. However, I fully don't understand music because I am from India and Indian family members of mine like any other indian hardly let me chance to listen to English songs. They use 'perversion' and cultureas an excuse to stop most of the Indian youths listenin' to English musics.