Saturday, March 10, 2007

Load balancing

Thanks to Through The Light I found out I can use both my broadband connections simultaneously, with a "dual WAN" router.
Well, after a month-long struggle involving two different routers and what feels like dozens of supporters and as many hours of tedious work, it seems I finally got that to work. (It seems for some odd reason NTL did not ask for registration of the new router like it should, so I had to copy the MAC address from the last device that was connected to my cable modem manually into the new Linksys router so it has a "fake" MAC address. This works.)
It seems I have a dual WAN connection now. I only haven't found a clear way to confirm they are both working simultaneously and the load is balanced over both connections. (But I can see they both do work, I can turn them off individually.)

Weirdly, running dual WAN seems to disable my iChat. Most of the time it will not connect now, though sometimes it does. And the account security settings change spontaneously. Very strange. Life with computers: never a dull moment.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Life with computers: never a dull moment."

Welcome to the very elitist club of brave hardcore adventurers, Mr Stobblehouse! It's an honor. We are very eager to hear all about your adventures among the lovely wild Amazons. In every detail, naturally! ;-)

France has the good fortune of knowing several world-class heroes of your type, like Raymond Calbuth, world champion of breakfast cheese portion-peeling (below 14 seconds!), who sometimes boldly goes out with no socks in his shoes.

I myself have the great fortune of knowing the valliant champion that single-handedly (and bare-handedly!) defeated the fierce warrior nation of the Souriquois on the warpath. And I held the Cradle of Life in my hands before archeologist Lara Croft.

Truly, the world is full of wonders and excitement for he who dares to face them. Oh, dear Load Balancing!

And tally-ho, what?

Anonymous said...

Computers will keep you fit until the end of your days, you know, the occasional tantrum included.
Seriously - it's good mental training.
But: I feel it could all be done in a simpler way, making all these nerds jobless...

;-) or :-( ?
No.

:-)) !!
It's a beautifil Sunday with bright sunshine and mild temperatures (in Celsius).
I will press now START/ACTION/SHUT DOWN!

Anonymous said...

Have you heard of Microsoft's latest ultra-compact keyboard? It has only three keys :

CTRL, ALT and Delete

Anonymous said...

The thrilling adventure never stops. My fearsome champion is out on the prowl, and I just noticed he's left me another superb piece of fresh game where I was sure to notice.

Dang! If ever a new famin strikes Lebanon, like in 1917 and 1942, I can open a restaurant serving grade-A Ratatouille, with nothing but natural ingredients.

Which would be very convenient right now, because I need to dispose of the body. Six good inches, tail not included, a magnificent specimen. Hey, maybe I should go into the fur business? It's top quality up to the smallest parts, velvet hair, silky whiskers... I hear rodent fur is in high demand.

Unlike rodents themselves, who seem to be everywhere. And doing well, judging from their early tan. The weather's good for them too this Sunday.

Okay, time to double-click on the Recycle Bin. Please excuse me for a millisecond.

Um... make that five minutes 43 seconds!
"Microsoft Windows XP has just encountered a fatal error and needs to shut down. Must be YOUR clumsy fault again, naturally! Do you wish to send an error report, knowing that we clearly don't give a rat's @$$ anyway?"