Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Vincent in the rain


I am reading Vincent van Gogh's letters to his brother: Dear Theo.
It is not as easy a read as Stone's van Gog biography Lust For Life, but for fans, it's a deep book.

Vincent tells of how he went into the fields to paint, and then a rain storm came. He sought meager shelter behind a big tree while it lasted, and then resumed. And because he had started with a low vantage point, he now had to stand on his knees in the mud! He seems to merely mention this to point out why he considers common workman's clothes to be the artist's best friend...

He also tells how he went out to paint the sea, in a storm so strong he could barely stay on his feet. One painting got so full of sand from the beach that he went to a nearby inn and retouched it... and then went back out into the storm to finish it with fresh impressions!

Today, most of us: "Go out with the camera today? Nah, it's a bit nippy, and I just got the Sopranos on DVD..."

Irving Stone edited Dear Theo, and while he may have done a good job generally, I think it was a disservice to the material to not indicate where he cut it. It is just one long text, no dates and no indication where each quote starts or ends.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's a bit chilly outside today, so I've been staying in all day watching Columbo videos.

I always work from my home. So I can not understand why it being nippy outside prevents me from working and I watch Columbo instead.

Maybe I need to read the o book.

Anonymous said...

ttl said...
It's a bit chilly outside today, so I've been staying in all day watching Columbo videos.

Wish I could, but working for "the man" prevents me from doing so lol.
Besides, I'd be watching "Rich Man Poor Man" the landmark television mini-series :)

Anonymous said...

Old Vinnie had the passion.

laurie said...

Some lines in an old song about Vincent Van Gogh called "Starry Starry Night" that have always moved me (though I don't agree with the sentiment about lovers taking their lives . . . . )

it goes,

"Now I understand / What you tried to say to me/ how you suffered for your sanity / and how you tried to set them free. They would not listen, they're not listening still / perhaps they never will."

For they could not love you/ And still your love it grew . . . .
Then when no hope was left inside/ on that starry starry night/ You took your life as lovers often do.

And I could have told you Vincent/ This world was never meant for one as beautiful as you."

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Yes, good song.
It's actually called Vincent, though.

Don McLean hinted in an interview that he thought it should have been a bigger song than American Pie.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

But Iggy Pop has a song called Starry Night.
He also has one called Lust For Life, so I asked him if he likes van Gogh. He said he does, and that he likes "lots of things".

Anonymous said...

Starry Starry Night is a good song. The bee gees have one called The Only Love which is a classic to me.



Artist: Bee Gees
Album: High Civilization
Title: The Only Love


I can relate
The story of my life
No brighter hope
No stronger emotion
I believed i could die over you
How you could ever
Break down and never see me through
Through my darkest night

And as i lie awake
One prayer within me burning
And there's no price on what you hold
Till it's gone
And it keeps moving on

(chorus)
Where is my heart
You know i will be waiting to be
A part of you
You'll never feel the pain
How can you say to me
That i should go on living
I left the only life i had with you
The only love
No use in me pretending to be
A part of you
And you the heart of me
How can you say to me
That i should go on living
I left the only life i had with you

So we agree
To let each other go
No long goodbye
Just your way and my way
And i can stand how you cried to be free
High as the wind blows
But not enough to bring you home to me
And only lonely knows

You see my open arms
You know my flame is burning
But i'm too blind to see the end has begun
And it keeps movin' on

(chorus)
The only love
No use in me pretending to be
A part of you
And you the heart of me
How can you say to me
That i should go on living
I left the only life i had with you

The only love
One love that will not die
I may sorry that i built my
World around you
The only love
Is only you and i
There will be others who would
Leave you as i found you

Anonymous said...

"Vincent in the Rain" would make a great title for a song.