Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Terry Pratchett video interview (and a note on the value of touch typing)


Here is an excellent interview (video) with Terry Pratchett. I like his insights into how literature and different genres work.
O, and it's funny too, which won't surprise you if you know his books.

Update: Here is another video. (Thanks to Through The Lens for pointing out that there are many on YouTube. Amazingly that hadn't occurred to me, just a day after I pointed out that you "can find anything on YouTube"...)
At the beginning of this video, you see Terry typing. He is using a tiny laptop. I hope that when he is home he is using a proper full sized keyboard (I love my TactilePro). But worse, he is typing with two fingers! One of the best decisions I made when I was young was to learn ten-finger typing (touch typing I think it's called in the English speaking world), and to keep it up. This makes the typing of, for instance, a blog entry a ten-minute job rather than the half-hour labor it could have been. It takes a while to get really good, but it is very much worth it.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sadly it seems to be in "real" format only. (I prefer to keep that spyware, i.e. RealPlayer, out of my system.)

I looked for the video in YouTube. While there seems to be plenty of Terry Pratchett content there, I did not find this one.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

It's brand new. It'll probably turn up.

Anonymous said...

"It takes a while to get really good, but it is very much worth it."

I learned on my own, and self-taught with pretty good results. So I really can't understand how come many regular PC users are still on two fingers. Feels like driving a car only in first gear.

Modesty aside, I believe if I can do it, anybody can. I mean, I'm catastrophic at piano playing!

Sten said...

ttl, luckily there is a reasonable Real Alternative to the RealPlayer. (As they say, there is a special place in hell, down the hall from Hitler, for RealPlayer.)

Anonymous said...

I'm an old dog you know, but I also learned touch typing a while ago. I'm not so much faster at typing now, but it fascinates me how one can always learn something new. I'm proud of it.

Anonymous said...

Doc, so what is a "wind rinser", is it what we'd call a pea counter in our country? Lol!

Anonymous said...

Monsieur Beep said...
"Doc, so what is a "wind rinser", is it what we'd call a pea counter in our country? Lol!"


Well, you can ask Terry Pratchett what his hero Rincewind's name means. :-)

Hey, I'm suddenly feeling poetic! Tell me if you like this one, "old dog":

Little Monsieur Beep
Was keeping his sheep
When down came a windy shower.
Without a peep,
They sheltered deep
In the basement of a tower
Soaked, rinsed, but wiser
About forecasting the Unseen Weather.


Was that splitting hairs?
Mine need a dryer.

Anonymous said...

I'm not used to counting peas, but in my country, I'm counting on peace.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Nice poem, well done.

Anonymous said...

Which one? The post-scriptum, or the nursery rhyme?

Peas, peace... yes, I think that was just *brilliant*. ;o)

Anonymous said...

Oh how lucky was I to re-check the comments on this post! Thanks, Pascal, for the nice poem! My sheep will be lucky for a shag any time, and donate all their wool to you in case it should get frosty in Lebanon! Shag isn't a 4-letter word mind you! I also am a peace counter!

May I transfer your poem to a) my "generation50plus" blog and b) to the wall of my appartment as an inscription based on the poem written by a valued online friend.

Beep! :-))

Anonymous said...

Monsieur Beep said...
"May I transfer your poem"?


You're most welcome, go right ahead!
You have the green light. :-)

"Beep! Beep!" - (Roadrunner, friendly animated bird)