Saturday, January 06, 2007

"300"


Frank Miller wrote what I consider still the best superhero comic book ever, The Dark Knight Returns.
His later comic "300" has been made into a film. Like "Sin City" it is clearly mostly computer generated, but in my opinion, it looks much better than Sin City. In fact, I have never seen anything like it. Truly amazing. What Jurassic Park once heralded for movie making, we are now starting to see happening, though rather later than I expected. Meaning really convincing fantasy.

I should note that I agree with Miller's colleague Alan Moore when he says that Miller's stories for all their power and skill are still all limited by all of them being just stories about tough guys being tough. And especially to a pacifist like me, that's a strict limitation. But still, good art.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Eolake, you'd probably be interested to know that big pictures, like the 600kB one that we get by clicking here, time out with a modem connexion like mine. I can never get them in full from the server.
The large versions of the photos you take yourself, however, they're normally on the reasonable and working side. Maybe because they are JPEGs? It seems only PNGs really give me trouble.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Yes, I am not sure what's so Next Gen about PNG, they are alway bigger than JPGs, in my experience.