Monday, September 04, 2006

Quotes/comments

I think the world is run by 'C' students.
-- Al McGuire

Well, duh. Plus 'F' students and a few 'A's sweating a lot.
(I won't even mention a prominent leader who is famous for being a 'C' student. He even seems proud of it.)

The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well.
-- Joe Ancis

Yup. I never knew anybody "normal". Well, except my little sister. But she works at it very hard.

Brass bands are all very well in their place - outdoors and several miles away.
-- Sir Thomas Beecham

Amen. Some people think rock music is noisy. No, brass bands are noisy! Last time I was at an event with one, I had to leave, it was just too much.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well.
-- Joe Ancis

Normalcy is a belief. Much like the notion that we humans are not perfect, which we all are.

Anonymous said...

Eolake,

I may sound a bit redundant with the local references, but have you ever heard a Lebanese brass band?

Before we moved, every summer, we had the masochistic privilege to hear the one of a small village rehearsing all summer long. Fron halfway across the village...

Not to mention the blaring Xmas "muzzak" for two whole months every winter. Through a battery of loudspeakers. (Shouldn't that be "loudsingers"?)

Don't ask me why we moved to the middle of a forest.

Hannah said...

You have the Google personalized homepage? :) I recognized two out of three from the quotes for today..

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

All three were from quotes of the day service.

Cliff Prince said...

Half of the world's doctors finished in the bottom half of their medical school programs.

And Jefferson Parish, a suburb of New Orleans, once actually funded a 1 Million US$ study to find out why approximately half of their High School students scored below the parish average scores.

Anonymous said...

Very interesting! What were the results of the study? (^_^)

It seems everybody who is or wants to become somebody HAS to be better than average. Hopefully, we'll ALL be that way one day. ;-P

For half of my school years, I was top of my class. No fib! THE first. And yet, some caring souls in my family constantly pressured me to excel. To my utter shame, I must confess that during the other half, I was only among the top of the class. Reminds me of this silver medal champion in the movie GATTACA. "Almost best means nothing."
(And yet... but I won't spoil it for those who still haven't watched it! Great story.)

Too bad this kind of "manure" cannot be used to fertilize fields in the Third-World countries, because then world hunger would be a thing of the past!